what is your vision

Place where art is developed for our game.

Moderator: Lead Developers

st.Veloth, The Repenting

what is your vision

Post by st.Veloth, The Repenting »

hello, tamriel rebuilt. i am "st.Veloth, The Repenting" or just veloth, and i want to know what tamriel rebuilt's vision of morrowind is before i do any concept art. the atmosphere morrowind has always conveyed to me is one of great ashlands contrasted by alien fauna and flora in the denser more swamp-like areas. but mostly these grand expanses of ash, moss, tree-like mushrooms, and volcanic rock, layered like dunes to create a sense of "overcoming". but from what i've seen, you guys have a different vision. please, post some art, lore clips, and comments describing the morrowind you wish to realize, and i will try to capture it.

almsivi bless,
may your sins be washed away by almsivi's flowing love
almsivi bless, to create one must first destroy, the nature of all, is in equilibrium
- sotha sil
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

Welcome Veloth!

I only speak for myself here, but here's my thoughts on the matter.

I feel Morrowind has a pretty diverse atmosphere: From dark dreary dungeons to sprawling majestic landscapes. I think it would be hard to say all of Morrowind has a certain 'atmosphere'.

Also, the best ideas don't come from within strict box lines, so don't be afraid to branch out!

I'd say let yourself be creative. If you're familiar with the franchise then you're as qualified as anyone to say what fits.

Worst case scenario, something might have to be tweaked or whatnot to fit in exactly.
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shackled, we are bound
Freedom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
st.Veloth, The Repenting

ty, i will have something down here soon!
almsivi bless, to create one must first destroy, the nature of all, is in equilibrium
- sotha sil
st.Veloth, The Repenting

what should i do

are there any concepts needed at the moment? anything you guys want to see? i warn you i'm OK that's it so don't get any hopes up :p
- sotha sil
Tyrant
Developer

Post by Tyrant »

I honestly don't know what's needed.

What I would do is read the wiki, try to find out if there are any creatures that are mentioned, but not included in the game.

Or, you could find out which armor sets are currently not in the game. For example, I don't know if we have all the armor/clothing/weapons sets of Velothi, or Dren, or 6th House etc.

Try looking into that to see if anything is missing.

Wish I could be more help!
Mourn for us oppressed in fear
Chained and shackled, we are bound
Freedom choked in dread we live
Since Tyrant was enthroned
klep
Lead Developer

Post by klep »

Crucifigo currently has quite the [url=http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=24765]project[/url] going: drawing the flora and fauna of Morrowind for some in game books. He may or may not need help with it.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

I had forgotten to reply to this; my apologies.

I think the concept art we could use most right now is atmospheric art:
We don't really have any active modellers, so even though we need Morrowind fauna and flora, as well as various -- for example -- miscellaneous Indoril assets, we don't have any way of getting any concepts in-game. We can only build up a backlog of concepts and hope someone will come along to model and -- in the case of fauna -- animate them. (And finding a good animator is much harder than finding a good modeller, which is hard enough as it is).
Atmospheric art, on the other hand, is useful right now. It will help us in our process of forming and finalizing our vision for the areas of Morrowind we are working on, and good artwork can also be used for promotional purposes, and to communicate that vision once it is formed.
If you're interested in creating atmospheric art, but don't know enough about our vision to know where to start, just ask. Knowing what sort of scenes you'd be interested in drawing would naturally help. I'll hopefully answer you more quickly than I have in this instance, if nobody else beats me to it.
st.Veloth, The Repenting

alrighty, i could try some atmospheric art, it`s not exactly my strong suit, are there any places in general that need art for?
- sotha sil
Theminimanx
Lead Developer

Post by Theminimanx »

There are some very nice descriptions of Morrowind the the [url=http://www.imperial-library.info/content/pocket-guide-empire-first-edition-morrowind]Pocket Guide to the Empire[/url], and while it doesn't match up with what we've made so far, I think a lot of it could be used for Deshaan. Some passages in the spoiler box:
[spoiler]The traveler, upon crossing Shadowgate Pass, may be forgiven for believing that he has left Tamriel and entered a different world. The sky is darkened regularly by furious ash storms belched forth from the mighty Vvardenfell volcano. The familiar flora and fauna of Tamriel is exchanged for bizarre and twisted forms that can survive the regular ashfall. Cloaked and masked Dark Elves tend herds of giant insects. A courier clatters by on the back of a 20-foot-tall, crab like creature. Everywhere, cowering slaves - Argonian, khajiit, human - scurry to carry out the barked commands of their Dark Elven masters.

The Dres are the great slave-traders and plantation owners of Morrowind. Thousands of wretched captives, mainly Argonians but including not a few khajiits and even Imperial citizens, pass through the infamous slave-pens of Tear, the Dres capital, from whence most find an early death on the plantations which surround that ill-omened city.[/spoiler]
The death of vanilla Morrowind will end this prophecy and unite all Morrowind fans again under one mod, one faith, one rule by our divine project. The puppet Morrowind overhaul mods will lay down their arms and bow to our will. Those who do not yield will be destroyed.
st.Veloth, The Repenting

thanks man! i just got some photoshop stuff, gonna try this out!
- sotha sil
st.Veloth, The Repenting

just did this, tell me what you think!
Attachments
charconcept.jpg
(637.67 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
- sotha sil