[MISC. QUEST] The Curious Key Collector

Place where miscellaneous quests and NPC dialogue are written.

Moderator: Lead Developers

Ironed Maidens
Developer

[MISC. QUEST] The Curious Key Collector

Post by Ironed Maidens »

Quest Giver
TBD.

Quest Objective
Keys. Lot and lots of keys.

Type of Quest
Collecting quest.

Reward
See below- lots of possibilities.

Short Summary
Finally, a use for all those keys you don't need anymore.

Prerequisites
Finding the NPC. He should be rather hidden in an out-of-the-way place, or we can go the 'master trainer of conjuration' route and have him be some hostile NPC who needs to be calmed to speak to him.

Assets Involved
1 NPC with unique dialogue.
1-5 possible new unique item(s) as reward(s).

Long Summary

1. We all have keys we use and then they just clutter our inventory. This is a good/fun/interesting way to find a use for them.

2. Some NPC out of the way, or possible hostile at first and needs to be calmed, would reveal that he is an odd collector of keys. Any keys, all keys, he'll take them.

3. PC travels Morrowind and returns keys to the NPC for various different rewards/outcomes. See below for a rough idea.

4. Perhaps after enough keys are given to him, the NPC will disappear forever.

Reward

1 key given: 1 gold.

3 keys given: saltrice or other easy to obtain and low value ingredient.

5 keys given: 10 gold.

8 keys given: Piece of low-grade armor.

10 keys given: Skill book to increase security (would be nice if it were a unique book written solely for the quest, which I can write if need be).

15 keys given: 275 gold.

18 keys given: 24 hour blessing that reduces frost damage by 30% and adds a small telekinesis buff.

20 keys given: Unique bracers somewhat better than bonemold called Right Truculence of Selene and Left Truculence of Selene, the right one fortifies short blade by 25 points for 60 seconds and the left one gives a poison resistance of 30 points and a 15 point nighteye for 60 seconds.

27 keys given: Location of some cave, 400 gold, and 40 enchanted silver arrows that do 5 points of shock damage.

30 keys given: New spell that is a powerful fireball spell, which doesn't cost a lot of magicka to use, but also gives the caster a weakness to magicka for 10 seconds or so. Not sure if it's possible to set the magicka cost for spells or not, though. Would be better if it's possible to make it have a high rate of success as well, without it becoming a power/ability.

33 keys given: Ring that seems to give a bonus of 40 health constant effect, but when equipped it actually is replaced by another ring that transports the player to some type of sub-realm where they need to fight 3 particularly strong, uniquely named dremora lords at once. One of them has a scroll in his inventory that will summon a storm atronoch and a dremora for 300 seconds and a key(!). I imagine the battle taking place in a large-ish room, and after the battle the key is used to open a door that leads to a table with 2,500 gold on it and a baizer or some such that will teleport the player back to some random location in Morrowind.

40 keys given: A special engraved key that cannot be given to the NPC (but that can be dropped) that looks really pretty.

45 keys given: A unique mace that is roughly better than ebony (lighter and does a touch more base damage) that absorbs 5 points of health each hit and absorbs acrobatics 5 points each hit for 20 seconds.

50 keys given: Some rare ingredients, a grandmaster mortar and pestle, maybe a glove that is constant effect fortify alchemy 10 points.

52 keys given: 10,000 gold, a unique dwemer helm that has a constant effect reflect of 20 points, and a unique book that sheds some more metaphysical inisght into the disappearance of the Dwemer. (I could again write this if need be.)

58 keys given: Permanent ability that fortifies security, sneak, unarmored, and speechcraft by 10 each.

63 keys given: Unique set of clothes that supposedly belonged to Ada'Soom Dir-Kamal. Would be a nice reward to have some Akaviri-inspired clothes. The clothes could be scripted to actually have cliffracers turn 100% passive.

Outcomes
1. After each subsequent reward is reached, the NPC will hint towards the player that there is another reward waiting for them, until the final reward is given, in which case the NPC will say he has no more rewards to give them, but the PC could give him a few days to try and dig something up and can come back. After a journal update, the NPC will be gone, along with all the keys, but a totem will be in his place that you can still give your keys to and they will disappear, and maybe the totem will bestow 5 or 10 gold for each key you give it?
Cicero

Post by Cicero »

This is a good idea actually. I know you can sell the odd key to creeper for 300 gold, but that's probably only like 10 at most. The rest are useless after unlocking their respective target.
http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/users/2686043/?
NathanJ

Post by NathanJ »

I love this idea! Only the idea of the questgiver being hostile at first is disturbing me, because my right index finger tends to be so nervous when it comes to unfriendly NPCs ;p
Why cant I simply use an Elder scroll to make my Clocks go slower?