Tamriel Rebuilt 2016 - Moving House

The news of the front page, global announcements, and any discussion of said announcements or news articles.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Anonytroll
Website Administrator

Tamriel Rebuilt 2016 - Moving House

Post by Anonytroll »

What is going on:
Tamriel Rebuilt began in 2001 in the official Bethesda Softwork forums. For almost 15 years now, the people involved in it have worked to create a full, believable province in the technical and aesthetic detail that is unique to and expected of Morrowind.

For at least 13 of these years, Tamriel Rebuilt has been centered around its forums. The same forums, actually, with the same codebase and an inability to upgrade it without losing the custom-built claims system.

As part of moving out of its deadlock, we, the current Tamriel Rebuilt team, have taken the second half of 2015 to evaluate the project’s technical situation and how to best move forward.

We have finally decided to move off the aging phpBB2 forums and to an integrated website solution offered by the Drupal CMS. We will keep the old forums in place, but as forum archives and set to read-only mode.

How the move will work out in practice:
As we have decided on a clean break, we will not be moving old content over to the new site. Since the new solution has been operational for a while, “movingâ€Â￾ merely means re-registering (in case of users) or summarising and linking old threads (in case of content). There should be no downtimes. The new solution is there and ready for use, even if not completely polished and feature complete yet.

As of today, registration to the old forums will be locked, as will the ability to post new topics. Unregistered members who want to reply to an existing topic will be able to do so without registering.

In one week, the ability to reply to topics will be shut down as well. The only exception is ongoing claims, which will simply be left open until they are finished or dropped.

If you have no interest in being part of Tamriel Rebuilt anymore, this is the last message you will ever receive from us.
Otherwise: please excuse the many rough edges, but welcome to our 2016 revamp nonetheless. We’re just getting started!
Katze
Developer Emeritus

Post by Katze »

I suddenly have a question. Will existing Honorary Members/Whatever-they're-called-these-days be keeping their status on the new system, or is it a clean slate for everyone?
"If a hermaphroditic, bug-armored, bipolar god-king existing in multiple universes who has his very own bible with *actual* magic strewn throughout it is your idea of a cliche, then I really would like to live in your world." -MK

"You say a lot of things. And how does that work? You're a bicycle"

Tea is important.
Anonytroll
Website Administrator

Post by Anonytroll »

There are developer roles and such. There is no developer emeritus role as of yet.
Gnomey
Lead Developer

Post by Gnomey »

My first impulse here is to just do it on request. If they register on the new forums, they can ask to get their title updated.
Ragox
Developer

Post by Ragox »

I've registered on the Drupal forums yesterday but I'm not getting any account activation email. I've checked all folders.
Anonytroll
Website Administrator

Post by Anonytroll »

That's strange, your account is active. You should be able to login and everything.
Ragox
Developer

Post by Ragox »

Nope, I can't login because I haven't received a password yet. And when I request a new password I receive nothing again.

Post by Guest »

Hopefully Drupal and Redmine will be used together. Drupal for the forums and Redmine for scheduling, goalsetting and planning. OpenMW did this years ago and seems to work well. Lots of good content and ideas on this site, already ignored. Hopefully some of it will be dragged from this wreck onto the new site. Where will the bots go at the end of days? Will there be a place for them in this new world to view threads and check messages?

Good job on getting the new forums running. Hopefully there's another 13 years left in them or enough to finish what we got ahead.
Marandahir

Post by Marandahir »

Will these forums remain online?

I know a lot of the older links on these forums are broken because whatever they were linked to lost their funding and vaporized into the ether.

I'm full on board for the move; just want to know if it's worth spending time trying to back up old threads or if you're going to make sure these old forums continue their life even after they're retired.
Not
Lead Developer

Post by Not »

These forums will become a read only archive. So yes, they'll still be here, but you won't be able to post anything anymore.
Not another memory

...And so my bad karma gets worse
Seneca37
Lead Developer

Post by Seneca37 »

Anonymous wrote:Hopefully Drupal and Redmine will be used together ...
Sorry no. As per the Skype meeting on 16 January 2016, we will be going with a full Drupal system. The plan is to implement many of the features of Redmine into the new claims system as possible.
psi29a
Lead Developer

Post by psi29a »

Seneca37 wrote:The plan is to implement many of the features of Redmine into the new claims system as possible.
I'm glad that there was some positive influence with the Redmine experiment that will carry over to Drupal. :)

What kind of features?