Deleted thread

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

well, any ideas of how I can make it poor and low class, while adding more 'variation (though i dont see many things repeated, except the lines of raised houses. and check the east of Balmora, thats all that is).
M1ke
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Well, something that do seperate low-class and the higher classes, is that low class has less space per NPC. Tighter placed houses, narrow patchs, unexpensive plazas etc. Perhaps you could make a westgash mountain that eats up part of area F? (Thus avoiding placing too many interiors, at the same time as it wont look like the nobles are living there). Wilderness, no cobblestones from place to place are also things you could use I think
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

In terms of Vvardelfell comparison, how big will this city be? I mean how many Balmoras can be fitted into it? Is it Vivec size? Perhaps there could be dirt-cheap and dirty houses outside it's wall (if it has any?) and where will Mournhold be located?
Garret Strife

Post by Garret Strife »

can we see some screenshots of alamexia? im really excited in seeing all the new models
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

ok, im going to keep the raised area, maybe ill change a few things so that it looks a bit more varied. ill delete the apratments next to the park, and bring a mountain in, squashing some houses up against it. maybe there could be a small shrine or temple inside the mountain.

the city is about 14 cells large, thats 3.5 Balmoras. we could get some screens, but that will most likely wait until we have some of the landscape around the city done.
Last edited by Inferno_str1ke on Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1ke
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

ok, heres area F, finished it last week but forgot to tell you all! so once you get this put into the Almalexia main city Koth, you can put up the file with all the meshes, and we can go our own ways to finishing the claim - me landscape, you detail and lowering. good good
M1ke
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Here's a first draft of the strider port in area F I did. It's built with the meshes that are there, but I'm not quite happy with it, yet. I used indoril bridges, the walls, and the ground floor statics, as well as three striders (all big mainland cities ought to have at least two striders, since they're both older, bigger and more involved in trade than Vvardenfell and Solstheim cities.

Like it, hate it? Please, some comments ;)
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
blindhamster

Post by blindhamster »

looks good man, obviously need statics etc, but looks cool
Let the snows fall deep, let the raindrive down, and the wind buffet my cloak. I care not, for I've a road worth walking!

-Drizzt Do'Urden
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Thanks for the support, people. :)

It's very rough, I know, I'll add planters, crates, traders, stuff like that, and maybe (if Koth will be so nice) an indoril-style strider port, too ... and I need some other mesheys done, maybe I'll also ask Majra or Vorrheis about this, if he's too busy. ;)
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

If you want the models done quickly, speak with Majra for instance since I've got loads of stuff in my hands at the moment ;) I would be grateful if someone helped me with the models needed in Almalexia, since even the current list is long
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

No problem, Koth, I will ask him/her (and I will ask that, too ;) ).
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
STH

Post by STH »

I'm taking the Area F (Cells 22,-26 and 21,-26)

In cell 22,-26 there are some marketstands.

the 6 big marketstands sells the following stuff

1 - Clothing
2 - Silverware Items
3 - Iron and Steel Weapons
4 - Potions and Ingredients
5 - a joiner (carpenter or cabinet-maker ,don't know the english word)
6 - Local Brews

the 4 small marketstands will sell books, papers and the stuff.

feel free to comment my ideas
if in danger, if in doubt,
run in circles, scream and shout
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Seems okay I guess. I'll look forward to your work ;)
STH

Post by STH »

here is my first file for the almalexia project...

area f (22,-26)

feel free to send comments, wishes, etc...
STH

Post by STH »

here is the second file, I have only added some crates, lights and plants...

both files should be clean (I hope)

feel free to send comments, wishes, etc...
STH

Post by STH »

here is the new file, Area F 22,-26 and 21,-26
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Awesome! This is some *very* nice work! I'm really impressed :P

I'm going to take a closer look in-game later, but for now, I can just congratulate you on a job well done. Though I'm afraid I must ask you to try to keep the amount of refences down a bit ;) Otherwise, it will be very hard on the engine and that can easily cause lag. Because of the size of the city, we'll have to be careful with that too. One suggestion might be to cut down on, for an example, the merchandise. I saw there's a very large quantity of silver objects there, and some might be able to removed without any greater noticable changes. Just the market stands alone had over 300 refs, which is very much. I'd estimate that about 600-700 references is about as high as it should go. Though don't worry to much, I often find myself in those kind of situations aswell ;) It's usually just a matter of either moving the detail to an other, simular cell or making some areas a bit less stocked with statics. Also, effects like lights and particlesystems (fog, waterfalls etc.) tend to kill FPS aswell, so it's important to remember to keep that sort of things down aswell. It would prove bad if Almalexia would end up unplayable because of the lag ;)

Anyways, great work once again. I saw you found your own way to solve the problem with elevated part. It seem to work pretty well, but if you want to know it could be done with still keeping the walls, you can take a look at area G (indoril district). I developed a system, using a new kind of model, to make it work. You might want to take a look on it if you would find yourself in such a position again ;)
STH

Post by STH »

Thank you... but, you know, I had some starting problems.

I did not count the refs, 600 - 700 is an optimal ref-count per cell? good to know...

I'll remove some refs from the market place.

I saw that you used West Gash Rocks and WG tex in the Indoril area, those rocks give me the idea ;-)
STH

Post by STH »

Here we go again, from 1844 refs to 1521...

kothloth, if you are satisfied, give me the next cells ;-)
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Here's a new version of my Area F claim.
Last edited by Hermit on Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Inferno_str1ke

Post by Inferno_str1ke »

well, as i seem to have been written out of the equation here id like to know what is going on? why has an area that ive been working on been suddenly taken over? am i not still in charge of Almalexia? i know i havent been visiting the boards but someone could have e-mailed me. i want this sorted now.
M1ke
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

Koth..
Could you give an merged update?
I was thinking for screens and such.

Inferno: I was under the impression Koth took over Almalexia when Nazz left.
Don't ask me about the claim though.
If you don't bother with your past history. How do you know where your currently at? It's past what makes us who we are. And who we will be. Ignoring that, is ignoring who we are and where we're going.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Inferno, as I said to you a couple of days ago, STH took the responsibility to put the detail into your claim. The city needed to be finished, and now, that's to STH, it almost is. What's left to do on the city itself, is finishing Hermits area, with the siltstriderport and all and putting my new walls models into place. Also, I would have to go over all other models aswell, but that's minor work.

STH should be finished lowering the city anytime now, and as soon as Hermit has finished and aligned with the new level of the city, then Almalexia city itself will enter beta, since then all areas will be finished.

I don't think you can disagree with the fact that the city has to be finished now. And since you currently aren't doing anything in the city for the moment, I don't see why the rest of the team can work to finish it off.

Excuse us if we're trying to do some work and finally completing the city...

And Seran, the only work Nazz did on the city, was fixing a few textures and the small island on the top of the city ;) He's been great help in providing ideas and lore though
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Well, I personally do think we should include an Arena in Almalexia, if only for lore reasons (it's existence in the arena file cannot be doupted, and since Bethesda included the Vivec Arena (and made it a whole canton!), we can assume that they didn't drop the idea. So, I am with Inferno there.

Inferno, ask av01d or Majra if they could make you a custom arena model. Both are very fast and very skilled modelers. Just give them a concept sscetch. The Arena might be located before the city wall, or use the space you park takes, even though I would like to add some of my pagodas there, a stream of water, and maybe one of brash's little arched bridges, to give the part a more asian feeling. If you're okay with this, that is; I don't want to screw you over there, just would like to use those fine new models. ;)

Anyway, as far as I am concerned, it's ultimately the claim holder that owns the claim and has the finaly say in anything that goes there. So, even though I agree with Koth that Almalexia ought to be finished at some point, I do think that, if you are working on an arena, you should add it, best either before the city, or in an expansion, meaning expanding the city walls beyond the current city limits, adding a new Almalexia Arena quarter.

In any way, I would rather see this city not finished till next week, but with a custom indoril arena, than in three days, without it.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

"Area" Hermit, he said "Area" :P

Though about the issue, I still believe that an arena wouldn't fit in Almalexia, for the reasons stated. The Indorils are best left as the cold, boring dunmer as they are ;)
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

I'm not making this up, it's in the arena file, which is considered lore (remember Trebonius' line about impressing the Almalexia mage guild dean? :P).

And besides, the Indoril are boring, but I don't think Alamlexia must have the entertainment value of Riyadh because of this (the Tribunal aren't exactly nice gods, but no rabid Wahhabis either).

And, keep in mind, in temple-controlled Vivec, there's an Arena, too. And Vivec isn't exactly the hot spot of Vvardenfell's night life either.

And, erm, :blush: damn I misread this ... Anyway, I like this idea. And we really should make the city's overall shape less rectangular, and add some bumps liek the Strider port or the Indoril quarter here and there. :)
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

There is a theater in mournhold, huh? Besides alot of visitor comes to almalexia, there should be some sort of entertainment.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Nazz told me that the arena file wasn't to be concidered lore, so you're wrong there :P

If we do have an arena, it would be because *we* wanted it there ;) I don't think we need it, Almalexia is large enough as it is anyway. I've even tried to limit it's size a bit by removing Area E and one cell of Area G, simply because it had way too many anyways.

EDIT:

Btw, here's the latest version:

kothloth.tamriel-rebuilt.org/downloads/almaalpha.rar

STH put a lot of effort into lowering the whole city to water level, and I did some other work today aswell as redid a few models. All included in this file. The result is that Almalexia became a lot more "natural", not as contructed as before. A great change, if you ask me ;)

Hermit, use this file to line your area up well with the new version of Almalexia ;)
Last edited by Kothloth on Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STH

Post by STH »

Originally posted by Kothloth
Btw, here's the latest version:

kothloth.tamriel-rebuilt.org/downloads/almaalpha.rar
this version replaces the new meshes for the walls with the old ones, install this file [url]http://kothloth.tamriel-rebuilt.org/downloads/newwalls.rar[/url] after you have have installed almaalpha.rar and everything should work....

both links will work now :-)
Last edited by STH on Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

So I put the wrong files into the file? This isn't the first time :P

Both links works for me, though your re-copy of STH's link doesn't work ;)
Legolas55

Post by Legolas55 »

With this wall file, do we extract it into textures or meshes?
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

Meshes. Folder name:

/data files/meshes/TR/x/

If correct, they will overwrite the files that were unzipped in the Almalexia alpha file.
STH

Post by STH »

Here is an update for Almalexia...

[url]http://www.thierolf.org/tr/TR_3-16-Almalexia.esp[/url]

and you need this file, too

[url]http://www.thierolf.org/tr/TR_STH_ind_plat_01.zip[/url]
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

Nice..
Really neet.
I'll have a look at it right now.
I've been wondering how it whould look merged.
If you want an independent view, I'll be glad to do so.
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

Not to be picky.
But are you sure you merged this one right?
STH

Post by STH »

Seran wrote:Not to be picky.
But are you sure you merged this one right?
i think so... i'm missing two cells, but i do not know where i can download them or what the status of the 2 cells is...

i've searched two days but i do not find them :-(
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

The two missing cells are Hermits part of area F. Which should be finished by now *cough* *cough* :P
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Cells are done, I'll merge them into the file myself and smooth things a bit. I also will replace Inferno's two high rise buildings with the merged models Majra made. And add some of Majra's pagodas and stuff here and there.
I'll mod a bit every day, but please don't hate me if I'm not done before, say, 10th, as I also have an exam to practice for - hard. ;)

I am also waiting for two models, the balcony, and the silt strider ramp, so ... oh well, I'll give my best. :)

One more thing: is there something like an Indoril banner? I really could use one for the strider port ...

:edit: I *hope* noone has done the two wilderness cells left of Area E yet? If so, it'd be a terrible waste, because, as I have seen, in order to not to have to scrap my strider port, I have to completely redo them. I'm sorry, deeply sorry if I just wasted STH's or Kothloth's work, please don't hate me for this. Hereby, I request these two cells be added to my claim. The lower cell will be renamed Almalexia: Silt Strider Port; the top one will remain wilderness (or whatever region Almalexia will be in). I will give my best to smooth them to fit with adjacent cells, and post an updated merged river-height almalexia file as soon as I am done.

Sorry for any trouble I caused :(

- hermit -
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

First of all, you must make sure you have the latest merged version. I think it is the one on STH's site, however, STH may have made changes to it directly since then since he's in charge of the mainfile right away. You have to have him pass you on the mainfile before you can merge anything.

The two cells left of area *F* are empty, yes :P