MY NEW SWORD DESIGN

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

GT70sgt

MY NEW SWORD DESIGN

Post by GT70sgt »

:) I have a sword drawing that i did and I wanted to get what you all thought before I posted it. Just tell me what you think and if you think that the name fits..
Lord's Broadsword.... Just take a look at the pic.

It also has the small sketch that I did...I really want this sword to be flaming like one of the swords in tribunal....it would be the coolest...but I dont know how to do it...

if someone does know how to do it...would you all please let me know...cuz it would be cool...

thanks guys..
Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

Its a nice sword design, 2 handed prolly. Contact eraser about new objects, he is in charge of that stuff.

Bladmand, nice name idea :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
(Day-kin)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

If it was 2 handed it would have a longer hilt. The blade itself would be longer too.
GT70sgt

Post by GT70sgt »

I can fix all of the stuff by just resizing it and scaling it after I model it....Its pretty easy to do that....

ohh btw some of those nams were pretty cool...I dont think that im too good at making then..

and also does anyone know someone that knows how to set things on fire for the game....like animated fire...I could try with a fire thing in 3ds max but i dont know if it will work, or even look good in the game.....

bladmand....what was it u wanted me to upload agin.....the pic???
GT70sgt

Post by GT70sgt »

It could be something like that....I could also come up with a design for a lords armor....something to fit for what they did in tribunal. Of course I might need some help with th texturing....as many people may know by now....Im gonna get my photoshop to work some day......

I do know how to do particals in 3ds max....but the ones I know how to do are like snow...rain...and stuff like that....I suppose I could experiment with the particals on fire....with lens flares and glow effects to make it look cool...I will have to put up a movie of the flaming sword model when I'm done with it

I am going to start to model it like tomarrow...and then I should be done soon...and then I could work on the flames for it.
av01d

Post by av01d »

2 types of particles u can use. they are superspray and blizzard.

for alpha channels black = transparent, grey = translucent, white = visible

for particles effect, u will most prob have to use the TESShader which can be downloaded somewhere.. (forgot). gotta get the MaxProperties script for the Utilities tab if u want ur particles to follow the weapon, otherwise they will just fall off when they are generated. rotation and all that funky stuff dont work with morrowind and i havent gotten Space Warps to work either..... i am very annoyed as i have NO IDEA how Bethesda soft did the curving particles on those scimitars.

dont think lens flare will come out in morrowind. thats a strictly render effect in 3ds imo. glowing will have to be done with the self-illumination tab. as not all the maps can be exported via TESExporter (Opaq. map is not for instance)

i am also trying to duplicate the flames on trueflame and hopesfire. but imo, it will be much easier to just use the textures that came with Tribunal and modifying them instead of making a new one.

one last thing... the sword seems like it will break when hacking as some parts of the neck are TINY. consider making the blade thicker at those 2 hooked parts or this sword will serve no more than ceremonial purposes :roll:
GT70sgt

Post by GT70sgt »

lol...I dont think that they will break...seeming as it is a game...but I will work on getting those plugins and the scripts for max.

I will also make the points and neck bigger....but if it doesnt look good then I will change it back...or try to make it lood good by changing the thick parts around..
Last edited by GT70sgt on Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GT70sgt

Post by GT70sgt »

is it really the texture that give it the fire...or is it a particle system in morrowind....I wouldnt really know...I have always used particle systems for the movies that I make in 3ds with fire....unfortunatally they got deleted when my computer got a virus and we had to clear the hard drive. But yea there was this cool fire plugin for 3ds max that might work in morrowind, I will have to fid it somewhere
av01d

Post by av01d »

mostly texture. particle effect just places the particles there..
u get a good texture and u got urself a great flame (a department im sorely lackin in)

I WANT A WACOM TABLET!!!! baaa...
"Um, I already gave my best"
"And that I have no regrets at all"

Lore: http://www.williamhung.net/
GT70sgt

Post by GT70sgt »

I dont really know how to use a texture for flames on the sword..I dont understand what I am suppose to do. I really need some help with that...cuz im totally confused..

is there something that has to do with a script that makes the flamnig particles out of the picture....

idk, im not sure

if anyone knows how to do this, please help me..

I might make a new topic on it.
av01d

Post by av01d »

http://www.proudfootimaging.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=mw_gen;action=display;num=1077070660

that should give u some idea.. as for how to make a really good texture.. im clueless

GT70sgt

Post by GT70sgt »

thats great thanks...I will work with that and try to get it to work.. if I do get it on fire I will have to show an in game pic of it.
av01d

Post by av01d »

and gimme a copy of the texture file :wink:

GT70sgt

Post by GT70sgt »

ok, I will make sure to do that.
Thalog Son of Darius

Post by Thalog Son of Darius »

That sounds pretty cool but it doesnt go with the rule of Don't being:Dont place any items to cause imbalance in the game.
Have you ever taken the time to appreciate that you aren't water soluble?
GT70sgt

Post by GT70sgt »

who said that, I just wanted it to be on fire....It doesnt have to be a strong sword..just a flaming one...it doesnt have to even be rare....so dont say it will imbalance the game when its not even in the game yet.
OMG, I love it....
Glass Katana -- texturing
Thunder Strike -- texturing
Lord's Broadsword -- texturing
Teapots and Others -- 1 completed
5 modeled -- Texturing other 4

I miss my post number... :(
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I think it'll be really cool. If you want it to be as powerful as the Umbra sword or something like that, you only make one or two. But if its a lot weaker than a unique sword you can put it in lots of places.
GT70sgt

Post by GT70sgt »

yea, i wasnt planning on putting it more than one place...but I can..idk, I'll see when im done with it
OMG, I love it....

Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Just one place is fine. :D Then it will be extra special.
GT70sgt

Post by GT70sgt »

yea, and I would have to make it more powerful, cuz i dont want people being like, dude I found this flaming sword that you cant find anywhere else in tha game....ohh and it sucks...

so I gotta make it have some kind of special power, and it will be worth it after I take all that time to freakin learn to set it on fire.
OMG, I love it....

Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Heheh.. just make sure its well protected. :D Thats all the fun in finding a new weapon.. having a real rough time getting it!
GT70sgt

Post by GT70sgt »

ha ha, ohh yea, I can do that...I should just makea new npc and have him cary the weapon...and you have to fight the npc....and you lose...lol
OMG, I love it....