New Shield Textures

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Morden
Developer Emeritus

New Shield Textures

Post by Morden »

Today it occured to me that there's not much texture variation amongst the weapons and armours of the original Morrowind game. I like the crappy armours that nobody ever buys... like Iron. Iron is so neglected.. and it was neglected by Bethesda too. There is only one iron round shield texture, and one iron tower shield texture... thats it for iron shields.

So today I whipped up 6 new Iron Shield textures and i'm currently working on some more. Please let me know what you think. Here are just some pictures of the texture for now.
Geowulf

Post by Geowulf »

I think this is a great idea. Imagine the look on people's faces when they buy an iron shield and notice it isn't exactly the same as the one used on that npc... :P Yoehoe!
Read the Books of Tamriel @ http://geowulf.tamriel-rebuilt.org

Currently doing:
- Bal Oyra interiors fix
- Bosmora, warehouse and indoor market
OOT status:
BoT (v1.4.)
CoT (v1.0.)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Nice morden! :) You have the actual texture ready? :)
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Very cool. Going to do this for other iron stuff?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

This is a great idea and one which could vastly increase variation in appearance. Provided the game mechanics can be persuaded to supply and equip on NPC.s randomly skinned items and not just the original.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Or we can just get somebody to retexture the original Iron Shield .nif, and make a whole bunch of new sheilds for placement and use on mainland morrowind. The NPCs on mainland morrowind haven't been created yet.

Anyone have any suggestions for what armor piece to go for next?
prometheus
Developer Emeritus

Post by prometheus »

i like the idea ...i think that the crappy armours are the best and also don't make the game become boring and u too powerfull so i usually use them ...

i especially like the nord ring mail mixing it up with other things...unfortunately i am still in the learning fase of how to make armours so i didn't really made anything ...but i already tought to do something like that
Totalwar site:
http://www.crimsonlegion.totalclan.com/

TR download website
http://prometheanlands.tamriel-rebuilt.org/
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Very nice morden. When those are completely finished, could you send those to me so i can add them to the armor plugin? Also, would you be able to do this for the other armor pieces, weapons and for steel? It would add much needed variation to the game.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Unfortunately i don't have access to a copy 3d Studio Max, so i can't actually re-texture the orginal Iron Shield .nif file, and send them to you as ready-to-go weapons. However, i'd be more then happy to send you the texture files. I have them saved as .bmp format. :)

I've just started modelling with Blender, thats how i'm testing my textures, but i can't do anything with .nifs...not to my knowledge anyways.

How do you guys like the designs/rhunes on the shields? Should i do more of those?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Yeah, man, do that :P
do some with steel tower and ebony and such :P
Geowulf

Post by Geowulf »

Morden, you can create new nif's and retexture them using a special skinningprogram like the one I attached. The possibilities are limited though.

Currently doing:
- Bal Oyra interiors fix
OOT status:
BoT (v1.4.)
CoT (v1.0.)
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Ebony shields would be easy to do cause they're mostly black. Right now though i'm going to concentrate on the common weapons and armor. Naturally there would be more variations among iron and steel weapons than the more rare materials.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I downloaded a program called NIFtexture, and i was able to make all my shields into ready-made weapons :D I tried the program that you posted Geowulf, but you're right... it is very limited, and i found NIFtexture to be way easier.

Right now i've got 7 shields lying around the street-side armour vender in Gnisis. Seven custom textured round iron shields should be enough.. with the orginal that makes 8 different round iron shields... i can always make more later.
Geowulf

Post by Geowulf »

Will you release that demoplugin? I would like to see those shields ingame 8) .

Currently doing:
- Bal Oyra interiors fix
OOT status:
BoT (v1.4.)
CoT (v1.0.)
Asylum
Developer

Post by Asylum »

great work morden, maybe you could try making some wooden shields (like the noremen or the vikins had)for skyrim all cut up and broke ;)
"Forgive me, for I don't know what I gain
Alone in this garden of pain
Enchantment has but one truth:
I weep to have what I fear to lose"
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

yes, you should make 6 more copies of those new ones, only make them look new, and rust-free, instead of old weathered ones.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I made two Netch Helm variations...here they are beside the orginal helm. I'm also currently working on the Netch Leather Cuirass.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

I have finished 3 netch leather cuirasses, and a full set of Iron armour has been all cleaned up to look brand new :) Now i have to go back and bash the hell out of it to make a junky set ;)
Nazz
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nazz »

Well I'm not sure whats happening but I still couldn't send you the sheild file so here it is. And here is what I'm looking for.

I know this is going to be a little confusing especially since its called "stuffforeraser"(thats how E sent it to me) but the sheild is in the "indoril tower sheild.rar" file that is in the rar that is attached to this PM. If you need it in zip form then it won't be a problem for me to send it that way instead.

As for the design I don't have anything real specific in mind it just needs to look fancy like the other house guard sheilds, and needs to look like bonemold, and you don't need to use the current texture as a base. If you want to do it from scratch that would be perfectly fine.

Thanks again
[url=http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831]Jon Stewart is my hero[/url]
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

Re-skinning that shield with Niftext is going to be problematic, as there is only one texture that is repeated 3 times. If you use a new texture, it will also be repeated. It has to be re-skinned in 3ds. I would be willing to help with it, seeing how I made it and all. If you want to make a new skin, I would be happy to do the skinning in 3ds.

Vorrheis
Nazz
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nazz »

Hmmm ok. Well the reason I asked Morden is because I wasn't sure how big on the texture side of things you were, and you also seem to be quite busy lately. But if you want to do it then its fine with me.
[url=http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831]Jon Stewart is my hero[/url]
Garland

Post by Garland »

I still re-texture the down and dirty way, Hex Editing.
claims:
4-21 - completed
5-12 - completed
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

You can go for it if you want Vorrheis. I figured it would already be like other shields.. with 3 textures assigned (front, back, and strap)... but if they're all the same texture, I am pretty limited in what i can do. I wouldn't mind taking a look at it after you're done though ;)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Morden, you couldnt give me a tutorial to create shadows and strachs?
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

I meant that if you make a new texture, I would be happy to skin it so that it isn't repeated. I wasn't trying to lay claim.
@Morden- I'm happy to have you make a skin for the shield. You'd do a much better job than I did, but it will be hard for you to apply it. That's why I was offering to help.

Vorrheis
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Which reminds me. Could the shield with the symbol be alittle blended in with the shield?
vorrheis

Post by vorrheis »

While were talking about the indoril armor. I just sent Eraser a new version of the house indoril cuirass. I think it looks a lot better, but the main chest piece's texture is a little weak. It would be nice if someone could touch it up and maybe add the Indoril crest (if it's done).

Vorrheis
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

The indoril crest is done, here it is.
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

... didn't upload ...

I hope it does now ...
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.