The Undead Journals [Awaiting Grammar/Lore Check]

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Enlil

The Undead Journals [Awaiting Grammar/Lore Check]

Post by Enlil »

Author - Ariitha Biethu

The Undead Journals I: The Ash Zombie

Day 1:

As a member of the house Telvanni, I have been left to my own devices in the matter of acquiring a corpse. A man accused me, today, of being a necromancer. I denied it as I live within the borders of my enemies and the fools who understand nothing of the Sacred Art. My neighbor, Dor Itashi was found to be incorrect in his version of our argument and is now an uncomplaining participant in my endeavor to restore the Lord’s will.
I have moved his body to The Temple at my Lord’s request. Now I must prepare it for instilling.
It is now nightfall and I must return to my home that my appearance may be kept in tact.

Day 2:

The body has been stripped of all clothes and articles of jewelry. I have placed the items in The Await. They will remain there until the cadaver has been reanimated and then placed, once again, upon it to clothe it (this will serve as a petty means of disguise).
I have placed the corpse within The Waters of Reliienth within The Temple. Here it must remain for sometime. This length of time is yet a mystery to me. When the skin has become leathery and tightens up and the eyes shine as a candle in a dark cave then it will be ready for instilling. I will check for this condition every day as it is very important not to let it set longer than initially needed lest it be wasted.
I will make a list of the required materials and gather them while I wait for this stage to reach its end.

Day 7:

I have gathered half the amount of ash salts called for in the formula by way of some of the alchemist in town. Nothing on the corpse yet.

Day 10:

The bittergreen petals have been collected as well as a small portion of ectoplasm. I still wait for results on the cadaver.

Day 21:

I have been in the Ashlands for many days and have contracted some disease in my effort to collect the rest of the ash salts I need.

Day 26:

Luckily the subject has not finished soaking in The Waters yet. I have been unable to check on this as I was negotiating with death. Too sick to move for the last few days, or hardly think, I could only pray. My Lord has spared me that I may continue his work.

Day 27:

The ectoplasm is proving to be very difficult to find. I have searched the tombs around the town in hopes of finding more. Upon entering the last tomb I discovered the source of this ectoplasm…..ghosts.
I attempted to destroy one of them but it seemed to be unaffected by my weapons. As I was running from the tomb it occurred to me to try magic upon it. This worked and it relinquished the rest of the ingredient I needed.

Day 29:

I have had to sell my home to afford the rubies and the ebony which I needed. This is not entirely bad as I will now have enough money to continue my practice for quite a while. I must be out in 2 days (counting today). I will abide in the wilderness with those I have raised.

Day 31:

It is cold. Misery is my only companion on this wretched day.

Day 32:

It has been 30 days since the subject was placed in The Waters. This morning just past 9, it achieved the conditions required to continue to the next stage of preparation.
I have placed it upon The Alter of my Lord. It will be preserved there for the 3 days from the time it was removed from The Waters.
The ingredients have been placed in the appropriate jars and vials as per my desire for the type of reanimation.

Day 33:

I have slept within The Temple and awaken to the sound of my potion brewing.
I will wait.

Day 34:

The potion is complete. I have poured it on the subject as required by the ancient laws.
Yet, when I cast the according spell upon it there was no reaction…..I pray it worked.
13 hours have passed and it is night.
The body is beginning to rise……..I fear the spell has not…

The Undead Journals II: The Ruins

Day 36:

I have failed in my experiment and must gather the rest of the required elements in order to complete it.
I have decided to go looking where I have been warned not to; the ruins north of here. I wasn’t sure of the name of this place, but I had heard talk about it from some of the people from the Mages Guild. From the stories, it sounds as if one of them had set out to explore them and did not return for several days. Concerned, one of her friends went in after her. They have not returned. That story is about two years old. I plan to be gone for at least fourteen days. I need at least enough time to retrieve my treasure…a soul gem occupied by an ash zombie soul. It appears, through my studies, that I had missed one crucial element of my experiment… the soul of the creature. As this is the closest place with such possibilities, I will begin there.

Day 37:

I have secured passage on a small vessel heading north. This is going to be a miserable ride.

Day 40:

Now that my food is holding its place in my stomach and I am off that awful skiff, I will set out to find this place.

Day 41:

I have spent all day asking around town about the location of the ruins. I think I have a positive one. I will head out of town tomorrow.

The 42:

I have gotten sidetracked today. It is difficult for me to pass by so many good things and not retrieve at least some of them. I have arrived here by boat and have never been this far north. There are strange plants that seem so foreign to me, but are all but background to the natives. I plan to stow away some at my first chance to take back as most of these are harder to come by back home.

Day 43:

I have made camp. I can see the ruins about two miles off. I have read about the Dwemer but never been to a place such as this. I am anxious to see what I have only, yet, read. I will rest here tonight so that I made into them tomorrow with my full strength and wits about me.

Day 44:

I entered the first accessible floor of the ruins and found a few other doors… I have opened none of them yet. I found some type of mechanical spider that seemed to be halfway dismantled or perhaps in repair. What wonders are these? I have searched through most of the containers, closets and dressers in this place and come across some very useful items. Of note, a barrel full of scrap metal, some cogs, wheels and the gears of sorts. I will have to choose wisely, for I cannot carry all this back. All along with this I found some paperwork; some kind of drawing for the construction of… something… I am unsure but I will take the document with me. The lettering is Dwemeri and I cannot read it.
Among my findings were Dwemer coins. Very strange; these people left their money in the drawers and equipment stowed away. This leaves much to ponder as to how and where they went.

Day 45:

I opened the first door on the right that one reaches upon entering these ruins. It is very different from the exterior door; this one was a circle split down the center. Upon opening it, I discovered a room quite similar to the first one; however this room was strangely warm. It would appear that some type of steam engine was being powered using a river of lava that flows under these ruins. The machine is still running. I find it difficult to understand how skeletons can lie on the floor; bones, dry as the air around them and yet machinery, is still in motion. There are lights on the walls in of some type that does not require fire to be illuminated. But I had not known what these were in the outer room, as they are all broken. I have moved my base of operations into the small room since it is warm and lighted and has a desk, uncomfortable as it may be. I think I will stay for longer than originally planned as there is much more than I could have fathomed. It is several leagues from The Temple so I will have to find supplies around here.

Day 46:

It has proved to be an uneventful day at long last. I am still confused as to the purpose of this place even in its prime. Why would they build such a majestic structure and then leave. It shows no signs of being under attack or siege whatsoever.
The Dwemer are a fascinating race.
I have finished exploring this place and will leave tomorrow.

---

Edited Version - Haplo
Last edited by Enlil on Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finished Books and Poems
Wanderlust
Travel By My Side
At River's End Vol I
Oath of the Wretch
Emvae's Contract
Ariitha Biethu's Journal

Rewritten Works of Others
Dust to Mounatins
Awaken
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

ok now I remember this one, there were tons of lore questions in the thread. Where did you get all this info from? The Await, all that, I need some references to other things
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Enlil

Post by Enlil »

I made it up. I gave you all the info once but I don't know if the post is still there with that info or not. The Await is a scared place inside her lord's temple. All the capatalized things that normally would not be so are so because they are sacred to the author and I'm trying to potray that saceredness. Please tell me if there is anymore info needed and I'll be happy to get it to ya.

P.S. I just read your new post in the "new lit forum leader" post and if you would like it reworked through the new system then i can do that. I'll have it submitted to you as soon as i'm able to do so.
Finished Books and Poems
Wanderlust
Travel By My Side
At River's End Vol I
Oath of the Wretch
Emvae's Contract
Ariitha Biethu's Journal

Dust to Mounatins
Awaken
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

hmmmm "made up" but what was it based on? is there any proof of things like this? It just doesnt make sense to me, it doesnt seem like a relevant thing for morrowind is my point. Seems like another race is writing it
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Enlil

Post by Enlil »

Her lord has not yet been decided so any applicable god would be acceptable. The place she is refering to is the sacred temple. The other capatalized items refer to rituals and places within the temple. As I said before the lore has already been reviewed and if there are any othere questions regarding this cite them specifically so I may revise them. It is meant to be a narrative journal of her ecperiments and finds.

This is the info section. The story itself will be reworked through the new system.
Finished Books and Poems
Wanderlust
Travel By My Side
At River's End Vol I
Oath of the Wretch
Emvae's Contract
Ariitha Biethu's Journal

Dust to Mounatins
Awaken
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Appears to be an incomplete series.

Options:
1) Discard all.
2) Revise the given sections, and make no more.
3) Revise and finish the series.

What I'm of a mind to do is revise what we've got, make it one book, and give it an abrupt ending. That is, author killed in mid-stride. Although that feels distinctly like half-assing, and I'd rather have no ass than half of one. Mixed feelings.

What I've got so far:

The Undead Journals I: The Ash Zombie
By Ariitha Biethu

Day 1

Though my House isn't as absurdly restrictive as some in certain matters, I still do not feel comfortable using House channels -- official or otherwise -- to acquire the corpse I require. Left to my own devices, I questioned shady individuals here and there until one objectionable fellow accused me of dark necromancy. Naturally, living outside the understanding borders of my own House, I flatly denied. Yet lacking a corpse, I imagined his objection as a volunteering, serving the dual purposes of granting me a necessary resource in his body, and securing the sanctity of my flesh in a land of ignorance (as those who protest our Sacred Art often do so loudly and publicly). His uncomplaining participation in my endeavor will be much appreciated, and so I thank Dor Itashi for the gift of his easy death.
Dor's body waits at the admittedly makeshift temple I have constructed, and awaits preparation for instilling. Night, however, approaches, and so I must return home. Nothing must seem out of place in my behavior, else I be subject to fools.

Day 2

The body has been stripped of all finery and fancification, and lies naked on the ground. I have placed the items that had adorned it into The Await. There they shall sit, until such a time as my Lord's will has been fully enacted, and the cadaver wants for clothing again (if only for petty disguise).
I have laid the remains within a shallow trough of specially prepared waters within the temple. Here it must lay for some time, though this length of time is yet a mystery to me. When the skin has become leathery and tightens up and the eyes shine as a candle in a darkened room then it will be ready for instilling. I will check for this condition every day as I understand it is very important not to let it set longer than needed, lest the product be unuseable. I will make a list of further required materials and gather them while I wait for this stage to reach its conclusion.

Day 7
I have gathered half the amount of ash salts called for in the formula by way of some of the alchemists in town, and those nearby. I have been careful not to purchase large amounts, or often from one alchemist so as not to arouse suspicion. The condition of the corpse changes day to day, but has not yet arrived at the prescribed state.

Day 10
The bittergreen petals have been collected as well as a small portion of ectoplasm. The body remains unfit, and I worry that I have miscalculated in my preparation for the waters. I must be patient and still, and allow time to work its course.

Day 21
I have been in the Ashlands for many days and have contracted some disease in my effort to collect the rest of the ash salts I need.

Day 26
Luckily the subject has not finished soaking yet. I have been unable to check on this as I was negotiating with death. Too sick to move for the last few days, or hardly think, I could only pray. My Lord has spared me that I may continue his work.

Day 27
The ectoplasm is proving to be very difficult to find. I have searched the tombs in my locality in hopes of finding more. Those few that housed ghosts proved to be fruitful, though in a momentary lapse I attacked with uninspired blade rather than magicka.

Day 29
I have had to sell my home to afford the rubies and the ebony which I needed. This is not entirely bad as I will now have enough money to continue my practice for quite a while. I must be out in 2 days (counting today). I will abide well enough in the wilderness.

Day 31
It is cold. Misery is my only companion on this wretched day, though my faith remains.

Day 32
It has been 30 days since the subject was placed in the waters. This morning just past the waking hour, it achieved the conditions required to continue to the next stage of preparation.
I have lifted it from the trough and placed it upon the alter. There it shall sit for the required three days after removal from the preservative waters.
The ingredients I have earlier gathered have been placed in the appropriate jars and vials as ritual demands, per my desire for the end result. With tinder and spell, I have started a fire and begun the potion.

Day 33
I have slept within the temple and awaken to the sound of my potion brewing.
I will wait. Now free of the restrictions of town living, I need not be parted from the temple or my experiment.

Day 34
The potion is complete. I have pored it over the subject as required by the ancient laws.
Yet, when I cast the according spell upon it there was no reaction... I pray it worked.
Half a day has come and gone, and night fills the sky.
The body fails to rise... I fear the spell has not succeeded...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi all. In long absense I have found myself and also have forgotten my login password so I am now The Sentinel(I am Enlil for those of you who don't remember me). I will be more than happy to change the parts you specify. Please leave notes as to all the the items that need altering and I shall see to ti that they are corrected.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

So is Enlil still back?
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined