music in game= popular poetry/hymms/songs

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

BalinMinister

music in game= popular poetry/hymms/songs

Post by BalinMinister »

Now i know its just an idea but what if we based the music of morrowind upon religious hymms (of sorts), popular songs from all walks of life (taverns, sailors, commoners, nobility), and other misc songs...
Conceptualy, the music that we hear is just an instrumental version of these songs which we (writers of TR) could write as poems or lyrics or whatever the genre of literature....

But the actual subjects of these songs would be tricky....we have 8 explore songs and the title of TR makes 9....so perhaps if we wanted all the songs to stick to relatively the same subject this opens up the prospect of their origins being in the Imperial Nine Divines, or one devoted to each of the Daedra...However if you wanted them to be varied music peices...basically anything will suffice.

Dont get giddy just yet :P Majra take a look and see what you think of the idea....

-BM
Bringing back the old school
BalinMinister

Post by BalinMinister »

Ok i hate to spam but i changed the title name becuase i feared that it was confusing....

As for these hymms, i was pondering over it and thought there was absolutely no reason to do a set of songs about a single group....morrowind is composed of many types of people and the tunes of the songs accurately reflect that (from uplifting and melodious to sad and often jarring)

Think about it all
Gleb

Re: music in game= popular poetry/hymms/songs

Post by Gleb »

BalinMinister wrote:...the songs to stick to relatively the same subject this opens up the prospect of their origins being in the Imperial Nine Divines, or one devoted to each of the Daedra...
Keep in mind that not all walks of life worship the Nine Dolts, and there is 16 Daedra Princes, not nine.
Psyborg

Post by Psyborg »

The High Elves could have kind of a melodious chant... the Dark Elves would sing songs out of tune... the Nords would sing kind of operatic, but with a lot more drinking involved, etc. etc...
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
battle_bison

Post by battle_bison »

I don't think Balin is suggesting that we have the actual characters sing them, otherwise we would have the chain-smoker orchestra staffed by dunmer. Gleb mentioned above that not everyone worships the nine divines, but it's a neat idea to have one composition for each, listening to it doesn't mean you worship it.
Turn Off Your Computer And Go To Sleep
Psyborg

Post by Psyborg »

Well, why not have actual characters sing them? Is everyone in Tamriel tone-deaf? Look, we should at least have singing be an ambient sound in temples or something.

(Anyway, everyone CAN'T be tonedeaf. There was the little ditty of Uncle Sweetshare, and random passerbies hum and whistle already)
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Except there is a problem, we will need to animate NPCs singing, other wise it wont look right.
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
battle_bison

Post by battle_bison »

I agree maybe if there ends up being a temple singing would make for some ambience, but I personally would not like it if while I was exploring or fighting there was singing. The current system of music should be fine, but for TR there should be more music along the same lines, which is where Balin's idea comes in.
Turn Off Your Computer And Go To Sleep
ThorFluff

Post by ThorFluff »

Túrelio wrote:Except there is a problem, we will need to animate NPCs singing, other wise it wont look right.
If the song is melidious (sp)
perhaps we can just slow down the talk animation?
just a spur of the moment though!
Works in Progress:
i4-17-Red ; The Fine Clothiere
i4-16-Red ; The Bachelor Pad
Finnished:
Ironbane ; The disintegrate armor spellbook
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

I have an idea. Mebbe we could make a creature "NPC" (like Vekh, Ayem etc) kneeling and praying ?
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

I think someone over on the official forums was working on a praying animation.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Yes I saw that too. By I forgot the guy's name.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
BalinMinister

Post by BalinMinister »

Surely humming or whistling would be great but i dont want to make any complications...just the hymms/songs/whatever would be fine written out perhaps on sheets of paper or books or wahtever (perhaps we can compile a book with all these songs written out in it)...but if anyone wanted to make voice recordings of them...sure would add another tinge of realism

_BM
Psyborg

Post by Psyborg »

I would be willing to do a bit of singing, though I can never get my Dumner impression to work quite right. I can do Breton though, and some Nordic, and a little Khajit, though the Khajit sounds bad when I try to do anything than a whisper.

I'll probably record something in the next few days. Unfortunately, I don't have the highest quality mike. It's pretty good for getting voices to sound good, but there's a lot of background noise. Whatever. I'll try.
BalinMinister

Post by BalinMinister »

Shouldnt majra take a look first?
Id like him to see if its an idea he likes and if he wants to progress it further