The Torment of Klausein, Act I (Bound Longsword)

Place where in-game literature is written and developed.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Zephyr
Developer Emeritus

The Torment of Klausein, Act I (Bound Longsword)

Post by Zephyr »

"20 sec on self","40","55","Play describing battle between two Breton Lords after the 5 Years War","Northern High Rock","Breton"

The Torment of Klausein, Act I
A Four Act Play
by Anthone Resphiel

Act I: Heat of Battle

Dramatis Personae
Klausein: A great, if aging, Breton battlemage
Viel Phayn: A Breton Lord. Miel's rival
Miel Sonnette: A Breton Lord
Fredik: A Breton commander for Miel
Some soldiers

Scene: The border between two undisclosed Lordships in northern High Rock (we have found it is very important NOT to hint at what Lordships were involved; a few Breton nobles took exception to their Lordship being on the losing side).

Early morning. The play opens on an empty field. Allow the audience contemplate the total stillness for several seconds. Then begin muted singing, from either side of the stage. Allow the chants to grow in volume, then begin the steady clomping from either side of the stage. Finally, as the soldiers burst on scene from either side of the stage, the singing and clomping should be loud enough to drown out any conversation among theatergoers.

The two opposing columns of soldiers halt and fall silent within mere feet of each other. The audience is again prompted to contemplate the utter stillness of the scene. Then, from the right side, MIEL SONNETTE walks out in front of his soldiers.

MIEL: What fool are you, Lordship, to continue this mindless aggression?

VIEL PHAYN (walking on stage from the left): What fool are you, Lordship, to ignore what is clear from the 5 Years War? Far from mindless, my aggression is carefully measured.

MIEL: Because the Emperor stood idle while Elsweyr burned Valenwood, you think it safe to strike at whomever you please without fear of his swift, just retribution?

VIEL: Indeed. Though you name me foolish, truly it is only the fools who cannot learn such simple lessons. You can remain ignorant, if you wish, and surrender all lands under your control.

MIEL: Never! My lands are my lands, lands of my fathers and grandfathers! None shall take them from my hand, unless that hand is thick with the chill of the grave.

VIEL: Then it seems we are at an impasse. I am afraid you must be educated, one way or another.

MIEL: So be it.

Both walk off stage, to their respective sides. There is a moment more of stillness, then the fight breaks out (the combatants on either side should have weapons made of wood, to prevent such injury as we had on the Grand Opening on this play). As they clash, the soldiers shout at each other.

VIEL'S SOLDIER: Our Lord is mighty!

MIEL'S SOLDIER: Our Lord is just!

The battle rages back and forth, and should get quite bloody (goat's blood in pig bladders, hidden under the actor's clothing works nicely). After several of MIEL's soldiers in the foreground are killed, the audience can finally see KLAUSEIN battling, standing atop their corpses. FREDIK dashes up to KLAUSEIN from off stage, and shouts orders to him.

FREDIK: We are taking heavy losses on the left flank, sir! We are failing on the right as well! If you are to use your sorcery, do it now before we are lost entirely!

KLAUSEIN: I had hoped these poor men would have seen the folly in following their Lord, and abandoned him. I do not relish what I now must do. Fredik! Hold my place for just a moment, while I work my magicks!

KLAUSEIN falls back a few feet, and FREDIK takes his place. KLAUSEIN turns his back to the audience for a second, and a tormented scream sounds, just as FREDIK is struck down by one of VIEL's soldiers. As KLAUSEIN spins around so the audience can see him again, he whirls a massive longblade toward FREDIK's killer (We've found that it's best to actually use a bound blade for this, especially with the other wooden weapons; the audience really loves it when the bound weapon chops the other weapons in half. Needless to say, only truly skilled warriors should be cast in Klausein's role, to avoid fatality).

KLAUSEIN: Stand down! Surrender! Your Lord carries you to ruin!

Bound blade in hand, KLAUSEIN easily tears apart VIEL's forces. A small number of them flee off stage. Weary, KLAUSEIN falls to one knee. MIEL walks back on stage.

MIEL: Once again you have saved me from certain death, old friend.

KLAUSEIN: Yes, and saved my remaining family. If not for my daughter, I myself would surely greet certain death with arms open wide.

MIEL (troubled): Of that, I fear I have unwelcome word. Though your bravery here today preserved the city from Viel's destruction, a message arrived during the battle. I think it best if you read it yourself (hands KLAUSEIN a scrap of paper).

KLAUSEIN: This. . . this cannot be. I am -- I must -- I am sorry my Lord, but --

MIEL: I understand, old friend. Go where you are needed. The battle here is over.

KLAUSEIN: With hope, I will arrive before my daughter's is.

The curtain closes for a brief intermission.