Like in the Deal (Swift Swim)

Place where in-game literature is written and developed.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Zephyr
Developer Emeritus

Like in the Deal (Swift Swim)

Post by Zephyr »

"20 pts for 30 sec on touch","40","45","Former Orcish Legionnaire, now smuggler, awaits first job","Unnamed Imperial fort in unnamed province; fort is part of town (like Gnisis), and is within walking distance of a Dwemer ruin with a hidden entrance, and a small port town; fort has prison tower","Orc, Khajiit, Breton, Bosmer, Nord, Argonian"

Like in the Deal
By Orgol gro-Muk

The first few days with my new friends was a time to great enjoyment. Every day, I would spend a few hours begging Kievier Sounien to teach me a new spell. I knew he dreaded my stupidity, but he could not ask for a more enthused student. Besides tolerate my attempts to be educated, there was little to do. Celewen, our fair Bosmer leader, would often be away trying to track down job opportunities. It was an arrangement that I found myself liking, for it gave me a chance to familiarize myself with my new allies.

Ma'Dar, Kievier Sounien, and Celewen, I have already mentioned. Besides them, the ruin also housed Reeya and Hjestvild. Reeya was an Argonian mage, and wasn't as receptive as Kievier about teaching his craft. I didn't learn much more about him, because I have a policy against bothering creatures with that many sharp teeth. Hjestvild was a boastful Nordic thief, and was very ill-suited for his profession. The majority of his tales of theft ended with something like "And then I smote the guard with a mighty fist" or "But jail's not so bad, you know?" I would have taken the opportunity to let Hjestvild teach me about his trade as well, but even unfortified, I knew better.

As Sundas turned into Morndas, marking the passing of my first week here, we began to worry that Celewen had been captured. Usually, she would be gone only half a day at a time, but none among had laid eyes upon her for four days. I'm sure none of the others enjoyed the irony that she returned on The Day of Waiting, as I am unsure it those outside of the Dragontail Mountains know of it (the day, for those outside that range, was the 9th First Seed).

Celewen brought news of a shipment of moon sugar that needed distributing, as well as some other cargo she was more secretive about. Mostly, it would involve hauling crates from the boat at the port to our hideout. Considering the build of our fellows, I suspected the duty would fall chiefly on Hjestvild and myself. Time to earn my keep, I suppose. At least my armor had been destroyed, so I could do the work without that Igma on my back.

While the rest of us prepared to leave, Kievier sprawled himself out on a hammock. As the only one who could exercise a measure of control over our undead security system, he was the safest choice to stay. Reeya finished his preparations early, and dashed out of the ruin. Curious, I followed the Argonian (besides, having very little to my name, I required very little preparation). I found him bent over talking to the shoreline not too far from the ruin. My approach must have been unwelcome, for he gestured for me to stay back.

When he finished whatever he had been hissing in his own language, a muted purple haze floated over the water, and he turned to me. "It's the Slaughterfish, warmblood. We trained the ones here to carry messages for us. No man, or mer, or even Argonian can match their grace under the surface." He began walking back toward the ruin's hidden entrance, to await the others. "Swift swim will hasten their journey even more. We will follow the shoreline to the port, and keep our eyes to the water. For when we see again those Slaughterfish, we will know whether or not the law will be there to dissuade our work. The deal with our fellow smugglers did not include fighting well-armed guards, after all."