Map 1 Guild Quest Discussion (Morag Tong)

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Veet
Developer Emeritus

Map 1 Guild Quest Discussion (Morag Tong)

Post by Veet »

This thread is to coordinate and discuss ideas for the Morag Tong quests on Map 1.
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I would like to suggest to make a major element of this to be the thieves guild "attacking" the morag tong somehow, Ive got lots of ideas for both that ill post later because im too tired now.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Not to kill the baby before it's born, but it seems to me that the Thieves' Guild is much too both crafty and weak to even consider such a thing. They're already practically drained from their war with the Cammona Tong, and I fail to see any reason why they'd seek to pick a fight with the other chief underground (well, fairly underground) guild around. The Morag Tong are, unquestionably, able to dispatch nearly every citizen of Morrowind (single, not take on the whole province, that is).

Meanwhile, let's look at this: the Thieves' Guild is a practically Imperial-sanctioned group. The Imperial Government obviously wishes no crime would exist, but they'd rather have it all be organized into one assosciation (which they can manipulate if needed) than all rifraff. Having the Thieves' Guild start a war with the Morag Tong (or even offending them in some minor way) would be the #1 way to have the whole guild entirely removed from the province.

Well, I'll stop ranting now. Chances are I didn't cover what you're going to, but we'll see when you're less tired.

Apart from that, sleep well :).
Earl
Developer Emeritus

Post by Earl »

Illogical. The Thieves Guild is a criminal organization. The Morag Tong is not. Their respective spheres are similar with the skills involved -- to a degree -- but they use them toward wholly different ends. They have no business overlap.

I'm sure you could have a quest where a Morag Tong member executes a writ on a Thieves Guild member, but then, you could do the same thing with any faction.
I have kleptomania, but when it gets really bad, I take something for it.
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Um... were you calling me or sirwoot illogical?
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

sirwoot I assume. And I agree with Earl. Why would a bunch of Khajit and Bosmer want to attack a bunch of Dunmer who have the superior power ?
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Garinator

Post by Garinator »

i think maybe what sirwoot was think and imo is a really gud idea is having a major focus on the fighting between the cammona tong and the thieves guild.

Like maybe you have to protect some senior ranking thieves guild person or attack a cammona tong base ect... and how effective you were could change the way the next set of quests go. E.g if you killed all the cammona people but your crime was reported when doing so your going to have defend a thieves guild base from a counter attack...
and we could have just the run of the mill "steal this item from this person"
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Something which the orginal morrowind lacked was the actually appearance of a rivalry between the Cammona Tong and the Thieve's Guild. Granted, a war between thieve's and asassins would be waged in secret, but you were never really able to get into the thick of it... i think the Commona Tong should have been a joinable faction if you were a dunmer.
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Probably, but I think the player will have enough to in House Dres not to worry about joining the Cammona Tong when TR comes out.
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

Not to burst anyones bubble but this thread is about the MORAG Tong, not the Camona Tong or the Theives Guild.
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

No, what I meant by that is that the morag tong starts cracking down on thieves guild criminals more, not thieves guild attacking morag tong. I had an idea for one quest - people are A and B; A is assasin (morag tong) and B is brigand (thief). I did A and B because if you are in morag tong you are A, while if you are in thieves guild you are B. Anyway, in the streets of old ebonheart or blacklight, A sees B and tries to execute the writ. An imperial guard sees this, stops the fight, and is convinced that A's writ is a fake - so guard takes both A and B to be interrogated by him in the garrison.
During this, you must actually answer guard's questions thoughtfully and truthfully - or lie - in order to make sure the other one gets arrested and not you. This would probably be best as a voiced event, like the play in mournhold (as a pose to dialogue-box based).
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

I don't quite see why the Morag Tong would be "cracking down" on the Thieves Guild in the first place. What do they have to gain from doing so? The Morag Tong operates based on writs, and as you remember in the original Morag Tong quests, not a single writ was targeted on a Thieves Guild member.
Remember, one of the huge perks of the Thieves Guild is that they are easily able to mask their crimes, and make actions disappear. If a member of the Thieves Guild gets caught doing something naughty, most of the time he will be able to slip away and get back to a Thieves Guild base, where he can get someone to "clear up" the mess. If the thief does not escape to make it back to base, he will either be killed, fined, or thrown in jail, and therefore nobody would put out a writ on him.
Now the Fighter's Guild, which has known contacts with the Camonna Tong (at least until you GM the guild, that is), would be a great source for writs. The Mage's Guild would be cool too. Maybe some crazy sorcerer is practicing necromancy in a cave somewhere, or has kidnapped a few locals for experiments.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

The Morag Tong is not a law enforcement agency and therefore realy would not do any cracking down on the theives guild.
-- Winston Churchill
Juhazar

Post by Juhazar »

I've got an idea. A writ to kill Mad Lord of Darconis! Mad Lord is a dangerous threat to Darconis, and that's why you have to kill him. It would be like a writ to kill Therana.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

Alright this thread is about Map 1 Morag Tong quest if I'm not mistaking, and you're all talking about Darconis and Old Ebonheart? And Thieves' Guild? I don't thnik the Thieves' Guild is present in the Telvanni territory, save perhaps for Firewatch.

If there'd be discussion on quests, I'd first like to know where the Morag Tong is based, I can't find one Morag Tong guild in Map 1. If they have so little bases the amount of quests would be quite low and it'll just be a few assassinations perhaps. The bases could have covered names and/or locations, so I think it'd be really useful if it's clear where exactly the Morag Tong is based in Map 1.

I was thinking about corruption in the guild which causes inner-guild writs being written, but I haven't done all Morag Tong quests in the normal game so besides the fact they write out writs for honorable assassinations I don't really know what they do (if they do anything else, that is).
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

thank god you said something, EVERYTHING THAT IS IN THESE TECHNICAL FORUMS, dialogue, misc, and faction quest claiming should only be relevant to the map we are talkin about. We dont want these important threads muddled by spam, and suggestions, we want end product stuff with exact NPCs, settings, etc.

Veet, if you wish for me to cleanse the threads with my spam destroying powers say the word and I will do so.
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

the word...:P
-- Winston Churchill
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I'm pretty sure the mainland morag tong are headquartered in necrom.
Anyway, I like the idea of having a writ out on a very important person; having two factions conflict with each other is not only fun, but realistic. all these groups cant simply coexist peacefully.
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Um... Necrom is map 2.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I know, but thats where the morag tong's main base is in morrowind. I wasnt talking about using it.

Anyway, ive got ideas for the first 10 writs...

- A bitter old man in ranyon-ruhn
- A dwemer artifact smuggler in Bal Oyra
- A bug farmer who cant pay his landlord, on the port telvannis island*
- An alchoholic in the village (sort of)north of firewatch
- An old telvanni lady who went mad and has been poisoning livestock
- A dark brotherhood agent in Gahouadaruhn
- A priest who has gone mad trying to convert the telvanni
- An ex-soldier who killed his wife accidentially**
- A cronie of Darythi Naryusa (mad lord)***
- A depressed old lady****

* - A "feel bad about it later" quest.
** - He thought a burgular had broken into his house and strangled them
to death, only to find it was his wife. his son thought it was murder
and put out a writ.
*** - Is destroying a farmer's crops by repeatedly setting them on fire,
shouting "THE VICEROY HAS NO PANTS!", under the orders of
daryithi naryusa (mad lord). tough battle.
**** - wants to die but cant summon the will to commit suicide on her
own, so she put a writ on herself for stealing 20 years ago.
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

I actualy was hit with a good idea for a morag tong quest today...

The PC is given a writ for some random person and arives at their place to find them already dead. Some investigation into the matter reveals that a freelance is opperating in the area and the Morag Tong issues a writ for the free lance.
-- Winston Churchill
The_Writing_Wraith

Post by The_Writing_Wraith »

Possibly something involving a Westerner (Imperial official or well meaning benefactor of some type or an agreaved widow/widower(or son/daughter)) attempting to destroy the morag tong. Could involve a series of investigations to determine who is killing morag tong members and maybe a suprise attack on the player. Depending on how far the player wishes to purse the quest, it could end with the death of some underling of the Westerner or the Westerner him/her-self. It would offer a change of pace from the assassination quests at least.
In the 550's Byzantine Generals Narses and Liberius were winning battles into their 80's. Retirement programs, though no longer including raping and pillaging, have clearly improved since.
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Somebody with the skill to take out numerious Morag Tong assasins would have to extremely talented...Most likely an assasin him/herself... and being Imperial, would point probably to the Dark Brotherhood in most people's minds.. but we should avoid using that faction.

Would the Tharn conspiritors have any motive to disrupt the operation of the Morag Tong in Morrowind? I would see them as people who might take advantage of their services.
Aaron
Developer

Post by Aaron »

Woah, hold on a moment! The Necrom Morag Tong guildhall is the mainland HEADQUARTERS? Why didn't anyone tell me that? Oy! Ok, I'll be expanding the basement then :) That's the only place in the building with room to expand left, and if this is supposed to be the HQ it should definately be a bit bigger than I had made it (which is good in a way, because it has a couple things that none of the other minor guildhalls have, a shrine to mephala and a bedroom/office for a local guild leader).

Edit: Welp I added one more floor to the basement, with a small cell (not sure what for, but the Balmora Morag Tong has one), and a large practice room with mats and dummies with weapons sticking out of them, tables with weapons, etc ;)
Odysseus

Post by Odysseus »

I like sirwoots ideas, except for the one about killing an old lady who cant do it herself, would make me feel really dirty...

i like the idea of a quest where a freelance assasin is found, good one good one

Oh I'm back to help out with questing I guess, if I get ideas ill post here...

later
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

As I recall, don't the Morag Tong think of themselves as "Holy Executioners" serving Mephla?
Stendarr is the God of Mercy and Justice. Therefore, he must also be the bearer of Duck Tape, for only Mercy and Justice can use Duck Tape for the Good of man.
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

I beleive so....also I'm not sure about the headquarters being in Necrom...where did we get that? Oh and basements in Necrom are a No No.
-- Winston Churchill
Nomadic1
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nomadic1 »

In one of the books, it says that the Night Mother of the Morag Tong is in Necrom. As the Night Mother is the big boss guy of the Morag Tong, two and two were put together. Here's another Morag Tong idea... a quest giver who gives out Grey Writs (the Grey Writs are the bad, dodgy writs of evil; they are not legal or legitimate IIRC).
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

Considering what I asked earlier: Here is a thought.

A certain group of the Morag Tong Splits off from the main group, and believes that they can kill their way to heaven. In a factional split, you can help the main Morag Tong stop the cult from harming innocents and eventually maybe destroy or just criple them.
Stendarr is the God of Mercy and Justice. Therefore, he must also be the bearer of Duck Tape, for only Mercy and Justice can use Duck Tape for the Good of man.
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Several lore issues:

I don't believe there is a 'heaven.' When a dunmer dies, it goes into a peaceful rest. Occaisionally he's recalled back to guard his ancestor's tombs, but otherwise they basically sleep their way through eternity.

The group of Morag Tong breaking off from the main body is far too remiscent of the Dark Brotherhood being formed, if you ask me.

If this indeed did happen, I think the Ordinators would be set loose onto the culprits. Their efforts I think would be enough.

Perhaps we could, however, have the PC uncover evidence that the Dark Brotherhood is planning a mass attack (underground attack, that is, people disappearing overnight) on a city, perhaps Darconis or Necrom, and the PC, being a Morag Tong agent, is sent to play the 'counter-terrorist' and defend a handful innocent citizens from the Dark Brotherhood attack. The idea needs quite a bit of work, but I think it makes sense lore-wise (we just need a reason for the Dark Brotherhood to suddenly attack all these people.)

-Garriath
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

I'd like to save some quests for until morrowind is finished, or it will be way too local. Even though this guild is located in Map 1, it doesn't hinder a person from going there to ask them assassinate a person in map 5.
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

True, but I think only a few. It doesn't make much sense that a Morag Tong base in Map 1 gets to assassinate someone in Map 5 and the player will have to travel a long distance to get there, which will be fun if it's one quest but will become a drag if it has to be done for a lot of quests.

So we'd better have a vast amount of 'local' (intra-map) quests and a few inter-map quests. Especially non-Guild quests should be spread out over more than map. Because most guilds are present in other maps as well. Therefor the quest is more likely to be given by someone from the guild that's closer to the problem. Especially in the Morag Tong which is simply to kill someone.

However, if you have to follow someone's tracks and he is fleeing from something, then it could well be that he's in another map.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

well, i think one of the lasts missions for the morag tong in map 1 should have a bit of spunk to it. like, going to assasinate a big coven of necromancers. but not by your self, with a entire assasination squad. and when i say a big coven of necromancers i mean big. but, we'd also have to keep to the "walking in shadow code" so i think, when u get the mission, about five people appear at the destinated spot, then when u get there, one of the assasins will come with u to kill the coven of necromancers, while the other four go and distract the undead minions (there should be alot). after that, there will be a few undead for u to kill before u get through. finally, u unlock the door to the tower, run in, and kill the necromancers with ure friend. when all necromancers are dead, i was thinking maybe one of them could come back as a lich. when this hapens, the game will open a dialogue, and the lich will explain that even in death he will rule. when the lich dies, another dialogue opens, and he curses ure companion assasin, he dies, but so does ure friend. its a dramatic end, but one worthy of the morag tong, to die with honor. Any how, wut happens to the others? i dont know. u can figure that out.
Túrelio
Developer

Post by Túrelio »

Well lets consider who in this region is probably going to most employ and be able to pay for writs, High Ranking Telvanni Lords. Think of what things would annoy, or what types of people would Telvanni not want around. Also the Telvannis are typically individualists, so they don't have alot of problems probably getting a writ for an opposing Lord, so we want to look at the personal conflicts that we have made for the Telvanni Council, and who might get mad enough to issue a writ. Again, since there is a constant state of House War it wouldn't be unreasonable to see a writ in Map 1 for someone in another map, as that is where it was issued.

I don't think we should have curroption or a split here. Those things would be more appropiate in/near Hlaalu lands and possible those of Dres as well. A split would almost certainly be considered a Daedric Cult and the Temple would intervine, sending the Ordinators after them(which makes for some interesting possiblities so don't want to rule that out completely).
My Art: [url]http://demi-urgic.deviantart.com/[/url]
Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

Writ for Odai Vemin

Odai Venim is a dunmer male, living in Port Telvannis (not yet, I am posting a idea, he is a newly thought up person). He is hiding in one of the houses.

Reason: He killed a high Hlaalu Noble, and is known as a contact for the Dark Brotherhood.
"Bling shizzle, here's a revizzle . . .oh god, I'm so white. . . "
-Jacurutu

"and since Armor of Tamriel has been delayed longer than Half Life 2, I have no idea if it exists or not." -Dexter
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

I don't believe there is a 'heaven.' When a dunmer dies, it goes into a peaceful rest. Occaisionally he's recalled back to guard his ancestor's tombs, but otherwise they basically sleep their way through eternity.
Who said there was a heaven. I just said that is what this Cult believes in.

Yes, that is true, but many groups in history have suffered more than a single split.[/u][/i]
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)
Juhazar

Post by Juhazar »

I think there should be few local quests in each map, and when player has done enough of them, he can go to Necrom(There is Morag Tong's headquartes) and take provincial quests.
Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

greeting: Hello, %PCRank, I have a task for you. A few Ordinators are cleaning out a daedric shrine, devoted to Mephala. It actually is a place where Morag Tong assasins can shelter.

topic: cleaning out; Yes, the necromancers are just fakes, they actually are members of the Morag Tong. I don't want the Ordinators be killed by them, so I want you to go to their camp near the Shrine, and kill there leader, named *yet to be named*. Fortunately, there is a dunmer noble that wants him dead, so I have a official writ here for you. When their leader is dead, I want you to drop a note in his desk.

topic: a note; Yes, here it is. It is a letter from himself, saying that he payd the Morag Tong to assasinate him, for him being not really devoted to the Temple. The Ordinators will definately stop attacking the shrine, and give our brothers time to evecuate and find a other hiding place for fellow members.

Player->additem tr_note_morag_tong
Player->additem tr_writ_*yet to be named*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And ofcourse you need journal entries and such, but I think this is a good quest. The quest is given by the player from a Morag Tong master, I think in Glen Haven. It is supposed to be an "Writ" quest.
-Jacurutu

"and since Armor of Tamriel has been delayed longer than Half Life 2, I have no idea if it exists or not." -Dexter
Aaron
Developer

Post by Aaron »

I don't really agree with that idea Kasan, the Morag Tong are a perfectly legal organisation and have no reason to be hiding out in a Daedric ruin. Also, there is no statue of Mephala to use for a Daedric shrine, at the moment all we have for Mephala is a tapestry. Now, an alternative might be: Use that idea, but make the people hiding out in the ruin members of the Dark Brotherhood, and have the reason for protecting them from the ordinators be that the Morag Tong feels honor bound to destroy the Dark Brotherhood themselves, and doesn't want the Ordinators interfereing. Honor is a major issue for the Morag Tong, and I think this would be a very fitting thing for the Morag Tong to do. So you would be sent to execute this Ordinator, who convieniently has a writ on him, plant that letter, then clear out the Dark Brotherhood members in the Daedric ruin yourself.

As for other comments, since I'm just now joining the Morag Tong team, I'd like to say that we should include FAR more plain old writs for the Morag Tong on the mainland (even on a map by map basis) than are included in Vvardenfell. Writs are very easy and very quick to add, therefore there is no reason we shouldn't provide a great multitude of them for the player to do. It always annoyed me that there are only like 10 normal writs for Vvardenfell's Morag Tong (not counting the grandmaster writs, which... well, I don't like because they have you kill important characters who I rather concider 'above' the Morag Tong's, and the player's, influence). Also, I always found the writs that sent you out to the middle of nowhere irritating, and I belive there should be more in towns distant from the Morag Tong guildhalls, but not out in the wilderness. People hiding out in caves in the wilderness seems more like the fighter's guild's forte. The Morag Tong is, to me, more of a tool of great house politics, and VERY expensive to hire as well. It would make more sense that the great houses would send out one of their own to deal with an ashlander who offended them, rather than hire the Morag Tong, whose services are most useful when they want someone assassinated without being implicated as being envolved themselves.
Claims completed:
Yashazmus, Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon
Mzankh, Dwemer Ruin
Nchazdrumn, Dwemer Ruin
Sirrilas, Shrine of Mephala
Moriken, Abandoned Dunmer Stronghold
Old Necrom Morag Tong GH
Darconis Diamond Mine
Assorted other boring claims.
Kasan Moor
Developer

Post by Kasan Moor »

Thanks for the comment Aaron. I'll work your idea out. But about the statue of Mephala, we have one. I have it here on my com. It is a rather old file, but it is TR's.
-Jacurutu