A Handbook For The Devout [Added]

Place where in-game literature is written and developed.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

vrover

A Handbook For The Devout [Added]

Post by vrover »

A Handbook For The Devout
by Dramar Thelon

In life, everyone encounters problems or troubles. Sometimes, people find them hard to deal with. That's where the Temple and your faith come in. Through devotion, prayer, and this book, you will learn how to become a better mer.

To put your inner strength to work battling against your trials, there are three simple but powerful steps you must follow.

The First Step: Perform an act of virtue. What act in particular does not have any bearing- there are many virtuous acts that one might do: make a pilgrimage, help the impoverished, convert a non-believer to the religion of our Temple, take a vow of silence or fast for some days, or make a particularly kind donation to the Temple. You might ask a priest for a suggestion.

The Second Step: Now, when you complete that act, remember the feeling that comes to you. For different people, it may vary: a sense of achievement, a sense of happiness, a sense of relief, even. It will be a good feeling, the good feeling that all people receive upon doing a good deed. Commit it to memory well.

The Third Step: When next you encounter difficulty or hardship, face it head on and do this: Recall the feeling attained by performing the good act. Fix it firmly in your mind, and use it as your motivation. This is the strongest motivation possible: The divine motivation of higher achievement. When you are touched by this, your inner strength shines brightest, and will rise up to deal with your problems immediately. You may not recognise yourself when you do so, such is the transforming power of faith.

If you wish to better yourself further, you may consider studying the paths of various saints, depending on the aspect of yourself you wish to improve. The book "Lives of The Saints" contains a short description of some figures that were canonised for their piety and unwavering faith. You may be able to find books that chronicle the life of specific saints in more detail in some bookstores, or possibly the library of your local temple. Read some of the sacred writings of Vivec, or arrange to be at your temple's next sermon-reading- they can enlighten the mind and touch the soul.

If you, like many people, take comfort in prayer, I have compiled here some prayers, specially-written to give strength to you to combat your troubles. Use these in conjunction with the Third Step and you will be able to dismiss the hardest challenges.

Affirmative Prayer for Strength against Negativity of Self and Others

Negativity destroys hope
Hope shall be the beacon by which I navigate throughout my life
I shall not pay heed to the hopelessness of negativity
"No" will not be taken for an answer
Perseverance shall be my pillar of support, and I shall rise up and defeat denial
Lest my mind is weakened by my constant refusal
Almsivi.

Prayer of Perfection and Guiding Beauty

Beauty shall bring me to my fullness
For I shall take the beauty unto myself and model myself after it
Ever striving at the ideal set by my betters
So that I might become strong and perfect
As shall hideousness too move me to perfection
By providing the power of repulsion
Almsivi.

Prayer of Shining Light

The holy light of confidence shall surround me
And mark me as one of strong will
Blinding those who would seek to mislay me
And illuminating me to those who recognise my strength
So that I need not speak for my words to be known as truthful
And that I need not act for my actions to be known as righteous
Almsivi.

Prayer of Unmoving Resistance

A rock supports me at either side
So that I shall not falter or be shaken
Though I am caressed with words sweet as honey
And buffeted with threats as sharp as knives
My stubbornness shall be undying and infinite
Until I succeed in winning my way
Almsivi.

Notes: Again, you might wish to work some of these into your daily prayers. You can ask the priests at your local temple for help on how to do this. And now, you can go out into the world and use what I have taught you in this book. Almsivi, my friends, and remember that every day is a divine miracle!

(Publisher's Note: Dramar Thelon lives in Kragenmoor with his wife Marana. This is his first book, but he has lectured for many years before writing it. If you wish to attend one of his sermon/lectures, he holds them often at the Kragenmoor temple. )