Argon Jungle: Claim 6-22

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Zalzidrax
Developer

Argon Jungle: Claim 6-22

Post by Zalzidrax »

I was just granted this claim so construction will commence shortly. I am currently lining up the borders and shaping the terrain overall, and am currently trying to find who has the jungle meshes that they could send me.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

ask sirwoot, he knows. and if you ever have any questions about the argon jungle, ask him, he knows.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

They were made by Majra, so he'd have them if sirwoot doesn't.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

wait till I post the jungle mesh pack, cause I believe sirwoot used some meshes that are not allowed (made by me, not meant to be used)
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

here, http://www.mensik.cz/jakub/tamriel/6-28/ , you can get my 6-28 for border smoothig.
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Thanks, Kingfish I can actually do some stuff now.
Those are some mighty impressive mountains...

Hey Majra, what's the status on the jungle meshes and Gimli's claim? I can't really do too much on this claim until I have those.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Ill be giving both of those to you in a PM once my computer is up and running full-strength again (I just installed XP on it).
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

btw Zal, do you have Garland's cliff meshes [the ones my claim is full of]? imo these would be the best way to end the mountain range on your side.just imagine: you come to an edge [from my claim] and all you see bellow is your jungle...
as far as 6-8 goes, if it takes too long for wooty to send it to you, just don't detail it much along the border and you may always adjust it later. last time i've seen gimli's screens, the jungle part was mostly a lowland.
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Indeed I do have Garland's cliff meshes, and that's exactly what I'm doing for the edges of the mountains for the most part. I still can't do much more htan the mountains until i get the proper meshes and an idea of how they should be used.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I dont remember... have I PMed you "the goods" yet? if not, lemme know.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

sirwoot, dont pm him anything, I will release it myself when I can get a hex editor

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

why do you need a hex editor??? NIFtexture supports EVERYTHING with retexturing, and DDS format stuff can be done with the texture itself in photoshop.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

I think you might need one to change filename references or something. I don't remember exactly.

But if you need a hex editor, I know you can get a trial version of [url=http://www.bpsoft.com/downloads/index.html]Hex Workshop[/url] that works pretty well.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Progress report:

The terrain is all laid out ot the right height and textures. Now I just need to figure out how to make a jungle that will not cause bloody murder to the framerate. Majra's trees most certainly help but still...

This right here is 76 trees:
Attachments
TR_6-22.JPG
(71.1 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Very nice!
however, the trees need to be A BIT more tightly packed. Otherwise, keep it up.
I'll have a screen of what ive been doing once I fix my PC woes, which you should probably try to follow.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

HEX Editor

Post by Vernon »

For Majra:

Here is a free, open-source HEX Editor:

http://artemis.wszib.edu.pl/~mdudek/

I use it and it serves all of my purposes well.
Attachments
Hex editing .nif files.txt
Someone else's HEX nif tutorial (txt)
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Hex editing .nif files.pdf
Someone else's HEX nif tutorial (pdf)
(18.24 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
welp
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

you positive its freeware?

also, I am using NIF texture now for most things, since I only use it to convert to DDS.

Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Positive.
welp
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Update: college's been hectic so not much has been done. I made the forest a bit more swampy and added some bc trees, but nothing too extensive. I'm on break from school over the next two days and am home, so I might find the time to do some major work on this claim if I'm not too busy visiting my friends here at home Ihaven't seen for months.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

i'm glad you havent dropped it. keep up the good work. :D
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Well it's coming along slowly but surely. The west side of the river is now almost finished with junglification.
Nemon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Nemon »

"junglification" great word...

And the screenshot proves good work! Please include :banana: in this jungle *mwaha*
SIGILLVM COMMVNITATIS DE CIVITATE BERGENSI
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Progress is slow...

But I'm still putting things down.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Screenshots? *big watery dog eyes*

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

well, i've still got my "jungle style" screens to show these peeps - which will be put up VERY soon, as my computer is fixed as-of-yesterday.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Progress? Umm... a little

*blames school*

Also, where are those screenshots you promised, SirWoot ? It might help with terraincoordination to have those.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

my computer is a completely worthless pile of buggy crap again. Sorry dude.
What MIGHT work though, is i could install MW on my dads PC, but that wouldnt solve the problem of all my work being stuck on a hard drive I cant access (the data is all there still, what's broken is my video card).
battle_bison

Post by battle_bison »

Pull out your old hard drive and get the data from it onto your dad's pc. That ought to work, if you're willing to take the time to do it
Turn Off Your Computer And Go To Sleep
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Well, I've gotten a bit more done over Thanksgiving...

Here's a picture of the progress so far:

[img]http://tinypic.com/pbx3k[/img][/img]
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

:shock: that's great... really, wow. keep up the good work :)
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

HEY, awesome job!!! you've really got the tree style down, except when using BC trees make sure they are no taler than the jungle trees (and placing the jungle trees a BIT closer together would be cool). Also, I would reccomend to use ashland trees in the muck ponds - in the marshes around my place of residence, gray dead trees are alll over the place. It looks a bit funky at first, yes; but it really also looks natural in the end.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

The BC trees are naturally a bit taller than the jungle ones, so I'm trying to keep them roughly the same height. As for the tree density- the upper right hand corner of that is the only part that is quite as dense as I'm trying to make the final product.
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

What I do is make dead BC trees, and majra's vine trees, underneath the main jungle trees in a fairly noticeable density. I really wish I could give you those fern models now, but alas I cannot.

Another tip, try to make either a few massive rocks or lots of small rocks - there cant be much blocking the trees. Main idea, in my opinion, should be trees so dense that when you look up you can't see the sky (for the most part). also, an effect that looks awesome is to use lots of 2x scale furn_mist_512 statics all over the floor of the jungle. makes it look all steamy, dense, and creepy as hell.
Rishanor

Post by Rishanor »

And then use the luminescing plants to generate an eerie glow. Sounds good!
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Ack, finals suck- I have been ridiculously busy these last few weeks (except over thanksgiving, but my computer was being screwed up then.

Anyhow, I think I managed to make some progress since the last screenshot, but I'm not sure. I will continue to work on it when I can- which will probably be between christmas and new year.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

A couple more trees and mossiness done. Things are progressing slowly still, but it will be done.
Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

Still in progress - placing a third of an entire jungle by hand takes forever...
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

You could always put down like 40 trees in a random position and then copy and paste the whole thing/parts of it to another part of the claim. Then you could go over it with a finer-toothed comb to add in detail and such. That way you still get a mostly personalized feel, with half the work effort.

Zalzidrax
Developer

Post by Zalzidrax »

I did do that, but that doesn't help too much around the edges where the exact placement of each tree is important. Anyhow, I have all the trees done now, and am getting to the undergrowth and rocks and vertex shading.

Here's a screenshot:
Attachments
ArgonScreen.JPG
(103.03 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

wow great job? Whats the fps on this buddy?