Bamboo Armor

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Indoril

Bamboo Armor

Post by Indoril »

I've got a picture drawn, and I'll post it as soon as my scanner is working again.

The concept is: Bamboo armor (and weapons)

It is a banded maile styled armor made of bamboo, kindof samurai style.
Last edited by Indoril on Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stendarr is the God of Mercy and Justice. Therefore, he must also be the bearer of Duck Tape, for only Mercy and Justice can use Duck Tape for the Good of man.
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Where would the bamboo come from? And how would it survive the trip to Morrowind?
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

Teleportation? Magic?
Bamboo Teleported and Enchanted by Telvanni wizards to not rot. Besides, it doesn't have to be in Morrowind. Perhaps from Argonia.
Stendarr is the God of Mercy and Justice. Therefore, he must also be the bearer of Duck Tape, for only Mercy and Justice can use Duck Tape for the Good of man.
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Bamboo rots? huh...I didn't know that...

Anyway...there is bamboo in southern, eastern, and north eastern morrowind. Probably southwestern as well.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Where did you find this?
Mirabell

Post by Mirabell »

Mock Mock Grr Arg.. wheres did yous find zis?
Interiors Completed: 6

Grand Caverns: 75% complete
Apartment Block: 99% complete
Ordinator HQ: Meh...

Currently Detailing Green Region, Map 2: 24.3% complete. 150 Cells.

Interiors Reviewed: 120
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

Now, in real life, bamboo splinters something fierce and is quite strong for wood. The armor/weapon's armor rating/attack would be good, though not uber, but it's health would be somewhere below steel, but above chitin.
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

Here is the picture!
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

it was confirmed and allowed by the core to have bamboo in the south-eastern parts of morrowind.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

Bamboo is much, much larger than that. The size of the pieces in your armour suggests that it's made of young bamboo plants, which are fairly weak.

Oh well, TES bamboo is prolly different.
I would say, scrap the helmet. then this armour would be perfect for argonians - simply built, yet durable enough.
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

<edited to remove 'spam' content>
Last edited by Stumpytheguar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

What gave me the idea was I was watching an anime, and this guy gets hit with seven or so bamboo spears, and his blood is spilling out of the bamboo because it's like a pipe. Then later, while watching a Jacky Chan movie, he says, "Don't worry! Bamboo is very strong!"

Than, I saw a picture of samurai armor. Later, in a half asleep state, I thought of it. :lol:
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)
Aaron
Developer

Post by Aaron »

Bamboo armor is beliveable, especally since it was actually used in oriental nations. As for bamboo weapons, spears are beliveable, anything else I'd say doesn't really make sense. Also, it should be a decent light armor, but not excelent, slightly better than chitin makes sense I suppose. The spear should be slightly better than a chitin spear as well, so, worse than steel/iron.
Claims completed:
Yashazmus, Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon
Mzankh, Dwemer Ruin
Nchazdrumn, Dwemer Ruin
Sirrilas, Shrine of Mephala
Moriken, Abandoned Dunmer Stronghold
Old Necrom Morag Tong GH
Darconis Diamond Mine
Assorted other boring claims.
Flufy

Post by Flufy »

Aaron wrote:spears are beliveable, anything else I'd say doesn't really make sense.
well what about staves, bows, arows, blow-pipes (uses crosbow bolts or maby added damage to had throne darts), and maby bambo shafted "flint" axes and such like?
Yinnie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Yinnie »

Aaron wrote:Bamboo armor is beliveable, especally since it was actually used in oriental nations.
Please enlighten me. I come from an Oriental nation and never in my life have I seen anyone wearing 'buluh' (Malay for bamboo) armour in my life before.

Yinnie.
this s*** is bananas...b-a-nan-a-s..
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

There is bamboo in Argon Jungle (thanks to veet), and it's also used in chandeliers (some are named that way) and the common guar cart. Thus, a bamboo spear, and maybe a bamboo club would make sense.

But armour?

Bamboo shatters too easily. That'd not make much sense. Samurai used reinforced cloth and plated cloth armour, and other oriental nations such as India and China used bronze and iron scale mail and (later on) chain mail.

I am perfectly unaware of an oriental wood/bamboo armour.
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

so am I...Bamboo would be good for:

Death Pits
Arrows
Construction
Food(animals)
Staves

and small huts for nomads in the Argon Jungle.

sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

the last one wouldn't work haplo; our lore states only 3 recorded people have entered the jungle and lived to tell about it. :twisted:
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

It may not be something that was used in real life at all, but the argonians do need some sort of armor of their own. I'm kind of weary about using it though.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

<edited to remove 'spam' content>
Last edited by Stumpytheguar on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

Actually, the sword idea I had would work. It wouldn't seem normal though. As you saw in the drawing, the sword was made of several bamboo tubes lining one long bambo stalk. The tubes are sharpened at the end in line to form a blade, not really for chopping all of the way through, but rather to chop into something. Kindof a stretch, I know.
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

For those of you who have seen the movie Hook (The Peter Pan movie with Robin Williams,) one of the lost boys (I think it's Rufio) wears a suit of what I believe is bamboo armour that looks like it could work for the Argonians.

I can't find a picture of it (no one likes Hook on these internets,) but it's basically a solid stack of bamboo stalks, lined horizontally in front of the chest. They are attached by wire on both ends, so that it loops over the shoulders and allows each bamboo shaft to move, making it move with the body and not stay rigid.
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

Rufio!
Attachments
Rufio.tga
Rufio Picture!
(185.77 KiB) Downloaded 2510 times
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

I remember thinking the armor looked pretty stupid.
Mirabell

Post by Mirabell »

Your full of radiant sunshine aren't you Garriath. :]
Interiors Completed: 6

Grand Caverns: 75% complete
Apartment Block: 99% complete
Ordinator HQ: Meh...

Currently Detailing Green Region, Map 2: 24.3% complete. 150 Cells.

Interiors Reviewed: 120
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

No, I'm not.

:twisted:
Yinnie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Yinnie »

I remember thinking Rufio looked cute....... I remember Tinkerbell, and London, and Gwyneth Paltrow's small part... I remember the Treehouse thing and the 'Imagine the food' and foodfight incident.

I cannot remember what Rufio wore.......

Stumpy: Thank you. :) Kendo eh? Interesting...

Yinnie.
this s*** is bananas...b-a-nan-a-s..

Post by Guest »

Hmm, maybe I'm mistaken Yinnie :) I don't actually have any evidence, I mean, there's what Stumpy posted, but I had thought some samurai armor incorporated bamboo to one degree or another. I suppose it either A: was just the way we cheapo americans did it in our movies, or B: metal or other material formed in tube shape which I mistook for bamboo.
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

Samurai Armor, which I believe was called Genji Deyoro (I could be wrong) was a suit of chainmaile and banded platemaile armor. The plates were usually round, and there were several of them, strapped together, or as their name suggests, banded together, which explains the cloth kindof look some samurai armor has. I don't know if bamboo was ever employed in armor in real life. However, as weapons and torture devices :evil: , it was, and sadly still is, very effective.

A bit off topic, but just to say what I know about Samurai:
American movies misconstrue Samurai as well as their armor. I blame this on Bruce Lee and the Power Rangers. Samurai were suicidle, skillful, swordsman, and though they were sophisticated, the were savage and barbaric. Many samurai and ninja gave into what they believed was great spiritual power. Either they were just religiously cooky, high, insane, or, as I belive it, giving themselves into possesion of demons. That is not proven, but it is my theory. Anyways, just believe me when I say Samurai Jack is stupid. Samurai were not as agile as movies make them out. They were hack and slash heavy infintry and cavalry, not ninjas. Ninjas were assassins. Also, samurai did not fight for justice or whatcrap. They were servants of their master, and did his dirty work.

Ok, back to topic. Bamboo with leather probably would make good light armor. It would be stronger than chitin for sure, seeing as how chitin is made from mud crab shells. I've played with real crab shells, and they are weak. Bamboo however, is strong. Plus, Nordic bear and wolf fur armor: How is that as strong as steel armor? That being the case, I would say that bamboo should be about on par with or just a tad below steel, nordic bear fur and wolf fur, and steel armor.
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

So there wont be wood armor, but you guys like the bamboo armor idea? Maybe bamboo Stafs/ Spears. C'mon guys, BAMBOO ARMOR??? :?
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Either they were just religiously cooky, high, insane, or, as I belive it, giving themselves into possesion of demons.
Sure, they weren't believing in TrueFaith, USA, they gotta be savages. And YOU of all people want to say religious cockyness is bad? You, the local fundamentalist, the clean shaven Christian Taleban?

They fought for their masters, yes. With your soldiers, you call it gloriously "defending" your oh-so-great nation. With them, it is wrong?

Back on topic, Bamboo armour is not really sensible. We need none, I think. Argonians should have leater, (animal) scales or maybe reinforced cloth armour. Light armour, preferredly. If at all.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

Indoril wrote: It would be stronger than chitin for sure, seeing as how chitin is made from mud crab shells. I've played with real crab shells, and they are weak.
Chitin is considered far better than nearly all existing light armors in ES lore.

And let's try to keep this free of personal attacks. This is a community mod, not a competition. We ought to try to work *together.* Personal attacks closed the Lounge. And it wasn't closed so we could vent our energy on the other forums.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Calm down hermit, no one asked for politics in this thread.

I've always felt that chitin armor should have been better in Morrowind. It is supposedly very strong, but furs and hides seemed to provide the same protection! As for Bamboo Armor, I think that if this is done that it should not be called "Bamboo Armor", since real bamboo is not strong enough to stand against a sword blow (naysayer's aside, cellulose can't compete with steel). So, if this is going to be an Argonian armor, it should come from some bamboo-like plant that is unique to Blackmarsh and is stronger than wood.

Another thought is that maybe this amor could somehow cover the head, tail, and feet of Argonians that wear it, since it is designed for them.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

Argonians are hunters; they should have various hides for armor, not bamboo :?
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

I see the fact that they are hunters as rationale for them having hides for armor, not rationale for them not having bamboo. Besides, who else would use it? Bamboo won't grow in the desert, Altmer would rather die than wear bamboo, wood elves have the Green Pact, nords and bretons live in areas too cold for bamboo, and Imperials just don't seem the bamboo type. That leaves Argonians, if this is going to be made.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

I personally don't see much sense in bamboo armour. Hides seem much mroe like what Argonians would use. Leather, maybe even chitin (big insects seem rather common in Tamriel; the wood elves use chitin as building material too, and think of the hoarvors), but bamboo? I don't know.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

I :evil: HATE :evil: the bamboo idea, who's with me?
Eyeball88
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eyeball88 »

I agree that they would be more likely to use animal hides as an armour, but I think the Argonians would use everything at their disposal. They live in a very lush area, so they would probably use every resource available.

That said, instead of having just a plain bamboo armour, what about combining the idea of a bamboo plate in front/back (the horizontal bamboo stalks) with some sort of animal hide or scales. Like having the animal hide draped over the bamboo stalks.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Well ... that could work.
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

A mixture of hides & bamboo? I like it :)