To bring it alive.

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Anonymous

To bring it alive.

Post by Anonymous »

I recently downloaded a mod that was a gambling place with strippers and such (called the tangerine coins or somthing) and all the while I was playing this I thought "holy smokes, for a bar this place seems dead" so I tried somthing I did multiple recordings of myself speaking and then recorded them together, the rusult really sounded like a bar! Except 1 problem, no music and the voice was all monotone. It was great it had occasional periods where a guy would yell out "Another flil Big-guy" and stuff like that. So I now turn to TR, this is a great way to make the bars look more livly.

I need 6-10 voices of differnent people acting out people in a Tamriel bar. In your 60 second recording include 1 or 2 loud yelling points and go on about "Your cousin in port telvannis" and such. When I take all of the files i'll add a slight echo so it sounds like your in a big bar room and then blend them together, happy recording!
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Atmospheric Sound Effects, amongst other mods, have done similar things. I think it is definitely a good idea, but in the end really comes off as unrealistic - NPCs are never placed in front of other NPCs, and so would have to shout across the room to have a conversation, and there are no 'rowdy dunmer' animations :wink: . I guess this is just a limitation of the Morrowind engine What would be really cool would be some expressive animations for NPCs, much like the 'emotes' in Neverwinter Nights, but unless some mad modeler comes along and does them, it won't happen. What you want to do could be done, no problems, but it would be nice to see it done better than the other mods have done so far.

Maybe the positioning of sound points in taverns would need improving, or the placement of NPCs. Errrr....
welp
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

So we leave the bars bland?
Yinnie
Developer Emeritus

Post by Yinnie »

Give it a try, why don't you start using your voice for these atmospheric sounds. I will TRY to record myself giggling cheekily (not hard to do, I hope).

I would like to see how this goes.... if its cool we can use these in certain bars and taverns that are 'rowdy' and more.... indiscreet than usual...

Yinnie.
this s*** is bananas...b-a-nan-a-s..
Odysseus

Post by Odysseus »

I'll do it, if i can figure out how to post my recording....
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Get your 60 second .wav file and compress it through winrar or winzip and then post the smaller version on the internet.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

Use mp3 - a good shareware compression tool can be had here:

http://www.goldwave.com/

The original TES3 sound files were compressed with a LAME encoder using 128 kbps/44.1 kHz encoding and this option is available in Goldwave. You may be better off saving using a single mono channel, as this keeps filesize down. However, if you want to make a draft of all the voice files together, maybe you could just use 96 kbps now and 128 later.

Also, if you have clipping on the sound files that you download, the dynamics will become apparent in-game, much like loud pops and clicks.

Lounorte: I think it is a good idea, I will upload my voice also. You should try the ASE mod, though, as it adds some bar banter. But check out Sitting NPCs - you should really check this out if you want to do this project. :)
welp
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Everyone post your voice and ill put it together.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

There were so nice tavern ambient sounds in Balmora Expansion. Should I upload 'em here so you will all hear them ?
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

sure
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Okay in Morrowind the average bar has more males than females (ushally), So this is what I'd like for some people to record.

1) Someone record 60 second of themself impersonating a guard talking about their last shift. At 45 seconds make a loud comment.

2) Someone record 60 seconds of themself impersonating a dunmer who is talking all about Necrom, If the PC listens very carfully he may pick up a thing or two.

3) Some one record 60 seconds of themself impsonating a very drunk dunmer at the 20 40 and 55 second mark yell out for some more drinks.

4) Because Nords form a small population in Morrowind they are not seen nearly as much as Dunmer but they are very heavy drinkers. So from the 20 second to 40 second mark I'd like someone to impersonate a Nord, If you do this one have fun with your 20 seconds and talk about Skyrim our whatever you want.

(For the Nord I would be very glad if Morden could do it. I heard the letter he recorded and It sounded really good.)

5)This one is for Yinnie If I could have you record yourself giggiling every 10-15 seconds that would be great.

I would like uneditied version of your voice because if everyone puts their own echo on or deepens their voice on an individual recording the end product really wont turn out.

Another thing to note is that most of what you say really won't be heard (When everything goes together it will sound like gibberish) so you don't have to worry about having an A+ impersonation. I will do all the editing and wrap it up into one nice little package for your downloading pleasures.

Also I will be impersonating a Bosmer so we should have a good variety of voices. I'd love some music but I can't use .ogg files! I'd appreiciate it if someone could PM me with a .zip or a .rar version of Dragonfly's Tavren music (I havent heard it yet)

Next is an issue concerning privacy, if you dont want your voice to be open for everyone to download the send it to me via PM, If it fits it will go in the final copy and no one will know who did it.

Last but not least, I don't want this thread to turn into a 8 page molding rotting uncompleted idea sitting at the back of the music department so DON'T POST and say stuff like "Oh yeah I'll do that voice" and then never do it. If you do post make sure it is helpful. If you dont understand read Vegors sig about posting.

So lets see what this can turn into!

Happy recording.
SlugZ

Post by SlugZ »

The one from Balmora Expansion is very good indeed, but it contains instrumental music. So the bar that uses this sound has to have a scene of some kind with a playing band...
Interior Designer:
----------------------------------
Now making:
Almalexia, Manor district (21,-26) #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7 and #8

Yay! Dun Akafell passed review! Now I'm happy! :)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

SlugZ wrote:has to have a scene of some kind with a playing band...
...wicth we dont so please post youre voice or not at all.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

I have dub out some pretty nice tavern ambience sounds and tavern songs. Now we just need to put them in our taverns.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

could you upload them?
sirwootalot123
Developer

Post by sirwootalot123 »

I just made a bunch of clips for a drunkard. I'll have them up very soon...
"Crashing the game is an innovative way of alerting the player that they've finished the quest, but I'm not sure that's the kind of innovation we're looking for." - Sload
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

I can upload them but they are something like 20Mb so I'd better find another place rather than our forums.

Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

It's 38Mb and it's really hard for me to upload it (my current Internet speed is not really impressive). So I'd better give the link. Personally I liked all of them:
http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/sounds/categories/Music%20-%20Tavern2.shtml