Kevaar's Random Ideas

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Kevaar

Kevaar's Random Ideas

Post by Kevaar »

Seeing as how I come up with so many, I'm starting a thread for it so I don't swamp the general board. Oh, and its perfectly fine with me if anyone else wants to use this as their random idea outlet too. Oh, and each idea will be preceded with an idea smilie: :idea:

And now to the ideas!

:idea: Have you noticed that there are more Dunmer face combinations than any other race in the game? I am guessing that this is so you don't find too many look-alike Dunmer in the Dunmer-populated areas. I think we need to do the same for the other races, especially the beast races.

:idea: Underwater Daedra! May be used to populate Boethiah's broken shrine off Hla Oad coast?

:idea: A haunted canton "dungeon". I was looking up those passages on the outside leading up to the waistworks (in Vivec) and thinking "I'd like to try shooting a bow up that..."

:idea: Pants with "tail sleeves" for the beast races? Because just having a hole cut in the back of the pants seems a little...primitive or something. And possiby revealing.

:idea: Beast race boots. I believe at least ONE Khajiit/Argonian had the need or idea to invent them...

:idea: More exquisite robes! I believe I'd said this elsewhere but it is pretty desperately needed. The yellow robe is nice but...it doesn't go with very much.

:idea: Morphing potions to turn you into different races? Or perhaps a curse you get off some monster (like coprus and lyncanthropy)? Could be interesting...

:idea: A city somewhere full of tricksters, meaning, full of hiding places and stashes and things like that. A Khajiiti town?

:idea: The Khajiit you see in Vvardenfell is only one kind of Khajiit out of many. I assume we'll be creating the other kinds, too?
Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

some interesting ideas, definatly want to get a LOT more variety of clothing, including some tailored to certain races.
Here are some of my random ideas:
(sorry, i can't find where to put in smilies...)

-- An orchestra in the Imperial palace. There is an official pluggin that lets you play the drum/mandolin and dance. There must be a way we can model and animate an orchestra. They could be in a huge cathedral near the palace, and perhaps share a stage with a drama group. joinable???

-- Bulletin boards in taverns. Travellers could read leaflets announcing battles in other provinces, recent business deals from major houses, the Emperor's latest decrees, upcomming holidays, etc, etc. Code these so they're random. I'll write the leaflets if someone wants to put them in the game.

-- Player can contact Daedra princes to ally with them. Daedra would then become a companion and helper.

-- Ability to participate in major battles. Morrowind is lacking any good fights, it's too easy. Can we integrate real house wars, border disputes between provinces, and possibly even a provincial rebellion to quell or fuel. FPS would probably suffer with many characters, any way around this? Possibly settle for multiple quests like the "5 bad men" quest, raids against other houses or races.

-- We have a lot of Tamrielic lore to wade through and build off of, however, I believe we ought to feel free to take some liberty to go beyond that, to make our own future, and also to feel free to fill holes in the past.
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

The smiley code
: idea :
Spaces excluded.

I like the idea of the orchestra. Or at least the drama club/ theater troupe. It could be like that one in Mournhold, except in some you'd actually have to move around and wear the right clothes...would be a mess to script ;)
Last edited by Kevaar on Sat Oct 11, 2003 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geowulf

Post by Geowulf »

I'll try to upload a first version of "Clothing of Tamriel" this week. it won't be much but there will be some retextured exquisite robes included...

:idea: Make it possible to build your own custom house where you want it to be... Buy a piece of land, decide if you want a small shack or a large manor, decide the architectural style it should be build in and then fully decorate your house with candles, furniture and clutter.... you know: a housing mod that doesn't simply adds a house (there are hundreds of those mods) but gives you total control on how it should look like and where it is placed.

:idea: Spin-off: A portable yurt... for camping.
Last edited by Geowulf on Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read the Books of Tamriel @ http://geowulf.tamriel-rebuilt.org

Currently doing:
- Bal Oyra interiors fix
- Bosmora, warehouse and indoor market
OOT status:
BoT (v1.4.)
CoT (v1.0.)
Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

For that we could have specific builders in various cities, once a plot of land was found and bought (plots would probably have to be set up specifically for housing) players could go to one of the various builders and pay him to build them a house.

I've seen a mod that allows you to buy and use a bedroll, why not be able to buy and use a Yurt?
Dakkan

Post by Dakkan »

Dakkan's Random answers to random questions :pop:

:look: Kevaar Q1= check out the NPC claiming section and look under the huge post of NPC replace face , or sumthing like that, they are making more faces.

:look: Kevaar Q2= There is a beast race boots thing out, its fun, but personaly they did a sloppy job. I don't know the web adress right now.

:look: Kevaar Q7= Not exactly morphing potions, but I dl thing thing that includes a potion trader in cauldra that sell growth/shrinking potions, really cool. But you gotta be in 3rd person view to see it. Its on morrowind summit.

:look: Kevaar Q8= Probally one of the southern cities along the border of black marsh will fit that descripiton.

:look: Kevaar Q9= yes.

:look: Geowulf Q1= This ain't exactly what you asked for, but Its close. [url]http://mindhook.com/morrowindabodes/abodes.html[/url]

Hope I'll be around to answer all of your questions in the future guys :)
Last edited by Dakkan on Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(Day-kin)
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

:idea: For the orchestra/play thing. Perhaps as a reward of some quest, you get to see a all-out play? With special-effects and all? Or maybe you just pay for it, and there's several different plays...
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

No random ideas at the moment, but keep in mind what we can do with TESCS and any scripting, don't forget framerates too.
"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact, it's all dark."
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

Heh, I can get a little carried away when I'm on an idea spree.
Last edited by Kevaar on Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

the idea is to push our tools to the limits, correct? sure not all of these ideas will be even discussed, but people need to keep throwing them out, a few may become realities, or even central features.
Kaos_nyrb

Post by Kaos_nyrb »

the orchestra idea is possible
you just have to model a guy with an instrament and him playing it
i have a fiddle around see if i can come up with anything
Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

incedentally, if we were to model an orchestra, we'd want the players to sit. I don't recall anyone in Morrowind being seated, though I'm certain the game engine allows for it. I think having someone seated would be yet another advance that would set this mod apart from all others. people wouldn't really think about it until they saw a tavern with people sitting down, and then it would dawn on them that nowhere else have they seen seated people.
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

Then how about a polka band....they are usualy standing while they play.... :P
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

isn't there a moddeler who made a lot of instruments? We could ask him/her to use that instruments..
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

If you can't get the people to sit, try setting them up like a jazz band. Most jazz band players don't sit--except the bigger instruments that are harder to manuever while standing. They stand on risers.

*edit* I just realized someone has already addressed this point. Silly me. *end edit*

*second edit* What about the animation for when you are knocked down? I have never been in third person when knocked down, so I don't know what it looks like. But from first person it looks like sitting. *end second edit*
Last edited by Kevaar on Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaos_nyrb

Post by Kaos_nyrb »

the instruments arn't the whole probleam, you need either to create new animation cycles for npcs or make an entire person with instrument as one model
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

Probably a new animation cycle would be better. Then you can play the instruments yourself!
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Or you could make the instrument some type of armor piece or something else that can be equiped.
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

Yes, but it might look a little silly if you don't put a flute to your mouth to play it.
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

You'd need new animation for the race to hold it up.

But with the way MW works, we can't have a person modeled with an instrument. each race is divided into different body parts, not just one peice like all other games.
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

:idea: Be able to make scrolls. Enchant pieces of paper?

:idea: Be able to enchant more powerful items.

:idea: Make fire-blasted dark patches for use on walls.
ensis

Post by ensis »

Well, random ideas afloat, I just happened to think of one right now. :P

:idea: I'd like to see staffs used more in a fantasy setting type sense; i.e. being able to cast a fireball from a staff that would deal a larger amount of damage than a normal spell, or a ring of fireball.

Somehow that one just came into my head, that's all I have to put down for now.
Geowulf

Post by Geowulf »

There are enchantable blank scrolls included in the Books of Tamriel plugin!!! :)) You can use them in your interiors if you want.

Currently doing:
- Bal Oyra interiors fix
OOT status:
BoT (v1.4.)
CoT (v1.0.)
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

I think that staff idea can be done.

I seem to remember enchanting something when I didn't know much about ohw it worked. I gave a sword a spell to cast on strike fire damage, but i make it on target, not on touch.

I remember swinging it facing an enemy and a fireball came out of nowhere(actually the sword) and hit the guy. At the time I thought it was a mage behind me, but this likely happened because of a bug and may or may not work now.
ensis

Post by ensis »

Yeah, I understand the Cast on Strike enchantment, but I was thinking more of a Cast on Swing type of enchantment. Taking that, if you're 20 feet away from an opponent, you cant use the Cast on Strike feature, unless you had a ranged weapon. I'm thinking when you swing your staff, you can cast a ranged fireball attack. Perhaps it could be rated by Destruction and Marksman skills. Get what I'm saying?
Eraser
Developer Emeritus

Post by Eraser »

Yes, thats what I'm saying happened. He was about 10 feet from me and it still cast a fireball.
ensis

Post by ensis »

Awesome! I guess I just need a staff with a high enchantment rating now. :D
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

It would be cool if you could write something on a piece of blank paper... Like: "Remember to go get the Helm of Tohan, from an island near Vas"

Could it be even possible???
Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

the ability to write in your journal!!! that's something I want, though with it being html (it is, isn't it) that might not be possible.

here's an idea I got from the discussion about arenas:
Multiplayer
I asked a friend who graduated from DigiPen if it would be possible, he thinks it would be.
After extensive coding, have Morrowind hosted on a server, and allow people to connect to it and play with each other. I don't know the feasibility of it all, but we could actually battle each other in the arenas, instead of some generic npc.

okay, so I play too much Counterstrike...
gotta admit, it'd be fun to actually face a challenge in the game. fist-fighting ascended sleepers is fun for only so long.
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

There actually is a multi-player mod under construction. Some people say someone is playing a joke with claiming they're making it, but I severely doubt it its a fake. Look on the Morrowind Summit message board for more. Have fun wqading through all the taunting and insults :rolleyes: whew..

:idea: For a Khajiit that doesn't like you, have the voice sound like a cat hiss. I can do one if needed. (Now where did I put that microphone?)
Last edited by Kevaar on Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

I think that at one point, jon and unifiedsleepers (two of our scripting experts that seem to be lost) were working on a multiplayer mod that sounded like it could work. It involved using the savegame files or something.

As for SpiritOfTheWolf and SpiritOfMuRpH's multiplayer mod on the Summit Boards, I really don't think that they are actually making the mod. It would have been very, very easy for them (or him, as the case may be) to avoid all the insults and skepticism by posting some proof, which they never did. The insults were clearly bothering them, but they did nothing to prove their credibility.

Also, there is a strong possibility that SOTW and SOM are the same person, since SOTW backed down from leadership quite conveniently before he "died", an unlikely event to begin with.

Multiplayer Morrowind might be possible, sure, but I doubt it is being done by the "Spirit Team" and I strongly doubt it will be done at all by anyone.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

Is seems like an awful lot of trouble just to annoy a few people. But let's not get into that argument, enough of that on MWS :bash:
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Hey, some people get off on that! It's amazing to me how inconsiderate some people can be. That goes for both sides of the argument on MWS. Coogles and them shouldn't have been so harsh, no matter what they believed. They should have just told Spirit Team that they won't believe it until they see it and then left it alone. There was just no need for all the "a**hole"'s and "f**ker"'s and such. It was crude, distasteful and childish of them all.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

:idea: A mod with several broken items: like Kwama eggs, ink wells, cracked glass armor...etc. Also, thinks like ink, burned, maybe blood splotches.
Geowulf

Post by Geowulf »

:idea: The ability to tame wild animals: Convert a wild guar into a pack guar you can use to carry heavy loads... You could create a new skill for it. And if combined with the mountable guar mod this would be even greater (got this idea from looking at the "Star Wars Galaxies" site).
Last edited by Geowulf on Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Currently doing:
- Bal Oyra interiors fix
OOT status:
BoT (v1.4.)
CoT (v1.0.)
ensis

Post by ensis »

Geo: I think all of that should be combined into one mod, instead of having to load two mods for it. I heard the mountable Guar mod wasn't very high quality, so maybe it could be remade with your ideas into it. :)
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

:idea: Be able to enter Oblivion (in a quest?) or to wherever the Dwemer are. Like Planescape for AD&D
Kevaar

Post by Kevaar »

:idea: Stables for silt striders! And guars of course. hmm...kennels for nix hounds? Oh, and why do you never see huge heards of guars running around? They are herd animals, after all.
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

ohhh....that latest one just gave me a good idea... :D
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

No huge herds because Morrowind isn't big enough for a huge herd! Not much of an excuse, though. I think it would be cool to see some kind of non-aggresive herd animal. With young that it protects in a ring, like elephants. Maybe we could have aphid herds like that!