BREATHTAKING!!!!!

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Athame

BREATHTAKING!!!!!

Post by Athame »

OMG!!! You guys are awesome!!!! I just stepped into map 1 tonight after having it for what? Two months? (Yeah I know, I'm slow) Wow! I wanna help! I wanna help! Oh please, how can I help? Walking into Firewatch was nothing short of jaw dropping.

No guards though. :( Where's the NPC's? I don't know how to do landscapes/interior/exterior but I do know how to do NPC's (I use CM's Partners mod and learned how) It really depresses me when I read: "It'll take years because people get jobs, people get married, people get shot etc. etc." I don't want it to take years! I wanna see the rest of Morrowind! I'm middle aged, out of school, divorced, work out of home, have lots and lots of time on my hands and since I gave up drugs and alcohol, I don't plan on getting shot. C'mon, I've read the FAQ's and some other posts but I'm still not sure what to do. If there's any way I can help please let me know. :D
Garinator

Post by Garinator »

well im glad to see your so enthusiastic ;)
before you do anything you should read the FAQ which is at the top of the main forum.
then learn how to use the construction set with one of the many tutorials in our tutorials forum.
then go over to the interior claims forum and claim an interior for map 2. Theres a couple of caves that are left which should be great for a person with no experience such as yourself.
oh and welcome 2 TR :D
fanfas
Developer

Post by fanfas »

Yes, I know what you mean... That was my thoughts exactly when i tried it for the first time [the little town with the blue lights at night...wow] :D wish i have more time so i could learn to mod... Maybe i'm ready and have time for the last province :D

As for help, well, do like Garinator said: Read the FAQS and all Stickies to learn how things work, and when you feel ready claim something and give it a try, and post your questions or PM them to someone that can help. Good luck and Happy modding.

Ps: I wonder when we release the complete map 1 the huge amount of new members that will come and help us... Because there are a lot of non-believers out there that will change their minds after see the real thing, i still stay amazed by map 1 quality every single time i walk around on it.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

When I said that about the project taking years due to the perils of real life, I meant the whole project. Morrowind itself is coming along very nicely. And the more contributing members we have, the faster it'll get done. We have far too many members here who simply spam up our boards with their "input" but never make an actual contribution.
I believe that NPCs for Map 2 will be opened soon, and when it does, you can feel free to go to town on those. Oh, and another thing, you can't script, by chance, can you? Because we could use some more scripters...
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Athame

Post by Athame »

Dexter wrote: I believe that NPCs for Map 2 will be opened soon, and when it does, you can feel free to go to town on those. Oh, and another thing, you can't script, by chance, can you? Because we could use some more scripters...
That's great! I'm Pretty sure I can do npc's. If there's a list of names, races, factions they belong to etc. that will help. I don't know how to do randoms (Ninja Monkeys?) like guards and such. I'm afraid scripting is all Greek to me as well. :(

I'm learning though. I learn more every day. I'm going to start frequenting the 'Tavern' and get to hob-nob with you guys/gals more so I can get to know you better. I'm also going to make it a daily habit to check out and try some of the stuff on the modding tutorials and learn as much as I can, I PROMISE!
AlphaFemale

Post by AlphaFemale »

Oo look, a prospective scripter. Excellent... *rubs hands together*
Any-hoo, get familiar with the claim system. NPC claiming is similar to any other sort of claiming. You start a thread claiming an interior/exterior, describe what kind of NPCs you will place there, and a moderator will tell you anything important.
I won. Majra died and I laughed.
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Welcome to TR, Athame!

We have some very good tutorials here that can take you step-by-step through the Construction Set and can tell you everything you need to know. These tuts can be found in both the main page (you'll find a link to them there) and in a Tutorials forum above the Tavern. The tutorials on the mainpage must be pretty good, since I see them mentioned on the official ES forums all the time, lol!

Another thing that will help you out immensly around here is a solid knowledge of Elder Scrolls lore. This is the foundation of the project and what sets TR apart from all the other landmass mods out there. Hands down, he best source of general ES lore in the Xanathar's Imperial Library, at this link: http://til.gamingsource.co.uk/ Whenever you have a novel idea you would like to use in TR, it might be a good idea to do some research here to see if it is lore-compliant, since the people around here tend to get frustrated with blatantly lore-violating or game-unbalancing ideas. Don't let this scare you away though, its our job to be somewhat critical as part of the quality control for this project.

If you have an interest in NPC claiming, there is a specific subforum just for this, about halfway down. In it you will find instructions for NPC claiming and some general tips/guidlines.

Enjoy your stay with us and if you have any questions, feel free to PM somebody and ask, and we'll be happy to help you.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

Welcome Athame, yes the work of our TR forefathers/mothers is indeed spectacular, and I am sure when NPCs are added its gonna look even more ridiculously good. If you are a good scripter, or trying to be, there will be a huge surged need for scripting when questlines are finalized for faction quests
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
Athame

Post by Athame »

Lord_Gallant wrote:Welcome to TR, Athame!
Another thing that will help you out immensly around here is a solid knowledge of Elder Scrolls lore.
I wouldn't exactly call myself a 'lore scholar' but i've played Arena, Daggerfall and Morrowind (Yeah, I'm that old.) and I have a tremendous respect for the lore and it's integrity. I've even been known to lecture Blue Dev once or twice on sticking to lore in regards to the the 9 temples remaining divided in the west. *chuckles* :lol:

P.S. HI ALPHA FEMALE! I'm very happy to see that you are a member here too! *grins*
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Don't worry too much about your age here, lol! We have members here as old as 60ish and many of us are between 25 and 35. So you're not alone up there ;). Do you and AlphaFemale know each other? It must not be personally, since you live at opposite ends of the States.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

By the way, try NOT to frequent the Tavern, it's a VERY bad habit. Strive to visit the Open Project forum, instead, and concentrate most time spent on these forums on the boards listed underneath the Tavern. Also, I know you have yet to do this, but watch your posting in a large-scale discussion (ie don't double-post). Welcome to TR, and congrats on your enthusiasm. Lets hope you still have it after two weeks of learning to script ;-)
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Athame

Post by Athame »

Lord_Gallant wrote: Do you and AlphaFemale know each other? It must not be personally, since you live at opposite ends of the States.
[OT]

LOL. No, in my wildest dreams, I suppose. :D

We know each other from The Elder Scrolls Forum. I love her mind though. She's my kind of gal. I think it would be quite something to know her in life. ;)

[/OT]

Thanks for the heads up on the Tavern. I'll just keep browsing the boards and tutorials so I can get to know you all and improve my skills with the CS. When I feel confident enough, I'll stake a claim. I suppose like most other things, the first one is always the hardest. ;)
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

LoL, you better watch it. Her boyfriend's lurking around somewhere, lol!
AlphaFemale

Post by AlphaFemale »

Bah, he may be 6'3 and weigh 245 pounds, but honestly, has anyone on this forum ever seen him say or do anything that would indicate hostility?
Oh wait...

Anyways, if you want to do a "test claim", why don't you select a cell you would like to do (it doesn't matter if it is claimed or not), and try your hand at it in the CS? Just pick something small. A shack or small house or so. PM me the file, I'll review it for you, so you can get a feel for what TR is going for. That way you can avoid submitting something that one of our reviewers will reject immediatly. I'm way nicer than our other reviewers. I have a better avatar too.
I won. Majra died and I laughed.
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Welcome, Athame! All this "start small" jazz - good idea if you haven't done much, but if you've already built your own mods, you already know the basics. In any case, if you build an interior just for practice, you can always "attach" it to someplace that it's needed. It won't be wasted effort.

Just remember, in spite of what some of the youngsters here say about goals and completing the project, the main reason for being here is to just have fun. - ENJOY!
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

6'3 245 lbs. Those are my exact stats. Neat coincidence!

@Greybeard- Youngsters indeed! I still have my doubts about your supposed age, lol! But you are right, the goal of "fun" is one that has been lost on many people on this project.
Athame

Post by Athame »

AlphaFemale wrote: Anyways, if you want to do a "test claim", why don't you select a cell you would like to do (it doesn't matter if it is claimed or not), and try your hand at it in the CS? Just pick something small. A shack or small house or so. PM me the file, I'll review it for you, so you can get a feel for what TR is going for. That way you can avoid submitting something that one of our reviewers will reject immediatly. I'm way nicer than our other reviewers. I have a better avatar too.
*back from a brief hiatus*

An excellent idea, Alpha. You folks need to know something: I'm not a modder. *gasps from the audience* I've only done some minor plug ins to correct or modify other mods.

Example: I asked StumpyTheGuar how to modify some of Astarsis's Mods so that I could make the faces playable only. That way they wouldn't interfere with Better Heads with competing names. (Better Heads aren't as pretty as Astarsis's but they are a lot more realistic with varying ages and whatnot.) I followed his instructions implicitly and Viola! I now have a mod that allows me to play Astarsis's faces without competing with the slots for the NPC's! (BTW, for those of you who use Astarsis's mods, yes that's how the character in my avatar ended up with Dram Berro's face!) :D

Soo, you see with a nudge in the right direction and a little instruction, I'm a very fast learner. ;)
battle_bison

Post by battle_bison »

That is very good to hear. I would give a nudge in the direction of this awsome tutorial laid out by Vegor and Yinnie. It's how I learned a few things about interior making.
http://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/old_forum/viewtopic.php?t=8253
Good luck!
Turn Off Your Computer And Go To Sleep
Thane

npcs

Post by Thane »

Npcs are easy. The only problem I have is custom dialoque and quests if anyone can give me advice on that I could to a ton of work for y'all.
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Athame wrote:Example: I asked StumpyTheGuar how to modify some of Astarsis's Mods so that I could make the faces playable only. That way they wouldn't interfere with Better Heads with competing names. (Better Heads aren't as pretty as Astarsis's but they are a lot more realistic with varying ages and whatnot.) I followed his instructions implicitly and Viola! I now have a mod that allows me to play Astarsis's faces without competing with the slots for the NPC's! (BTW, for those of you who use Astarsis's mods, yes that's how the character in my avatar ended up with Dram Berro's face!) :D
Wow, I thought I'd recognized your name. It's been a long time since then, ha ha... you may not want to attatch yourself to me; I'm not to popular around here. It might have something to do with the fact that most of the people here are complete idiots, but hey, what would I know right?
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

LG your back wtf?
Since when?
If you don't bother with your past history. How do you know where your currently at? It's past what makes us who we are. And who we will be. Ignoring that, is ignoring who we are and where we're going.
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

That was posted in December silly.
Seran
Developer Emeritus

Post by Seran »

ha..
*Seran goes slightly red*
Nevermind my noobness.
If you don't bother with your past history. How do you know where your currently at? It's past what makes us who we are. And who we will be. Ignoring that, is ignoring who we are and where we're going.