I'm impressed!

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Anonymous

I'm impressed!

Post by Anonymous »

I've been following TR off and on since it formed, and honestly I expected you guys to give up and go defunct a long time ago. I had stopped coming here to check on you, and then recently I did again. I'm extremely impressed at how much vitality there still is, and how, reading through these forums, everyone seems to be Johnny-on-the-spot with getting stuff done. I tip my hat to the taskmasters.

The stated goal of TR was so ridiculously massive when it started that a lot of people just figured your reach was farther than your grasp, and that the sheer insurmountable size of the endeavor would cause the project to lose steam. Doesn't seem to be the case, through. Getting it done piece by piece, step by step, phase by phase, region by region, is obviously (in retrospect :) a winning strategy.

If you can keep up this level of progress, I expect you'll have more people asking to contribute than there is work to do. At the beginning, nobody wanted to waste time on a grand-scale project that might not survive, but now that they see it's still here and going strong, they'll want to get a piece of credit and be able to point to something in the game and say "I did that".

I just wanted to give you guys some more encouragement, and let you know that after I futz around with the editor a bit, I'll see what I can do to give you a hand.

Amazing job! Clearly some communities can pull together for a good idea.
Timito

Post by Timito »

Well, it's certanly nice to know people think about TR that way. You're obviously very positive about it, and why wouldn't you be? TR's a great project! You can contribute a bit to gain new members for TR, I'm building my own site at the moment (lycos tripod) and there i tell about TR and what a great project it is and that the people who visit my site and have some experience with the cs should join.
TR is a mod, it's made by gamers for gamers and most of the members don't care how long it takes to finish it. Wether TR will take 5 years or a decade to finish, I will always have fun modding.
With over 1600 members TR is far from dead, but less then a quarter of the members actually does something. An one hand thats okay, because if all of the members did 1 interior a week, the mods couldn't keep up with the progress.
It's good to hear (read actually) that there are people who believe in TR. Most of the members are really cool, and when I look through the forums I really think I'm at home here.
Many people will call you a spammer, but I think this was just what everybody needs in the dark winter times.

Oh, and Welcome to TR!
Happy Modding :wink:
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

We'll be going at this pace at least. I would personally like to see more exterior makers since the maps will need a couple of teams to finish them off. So we will always have more need for exterior makers even though there aren't a lot of exterior claims availible. Concider it a *hint* if you'd like ;)
but less then a quarter of the members actually does something
More like 5%. But that's still a lot ;)
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Re: I'm impressed!

Post by Garriath »

Corwin wrote:the taskmasters.
I like the way you put it.
Doxas
Developer

Post by Doxas »

the same goes from me. I am imressed as well. To tell a truth I thought this project will die, especially when the dore members were leaving. I haven't been for a long time. I did a little, mostly because I don't have much time, but I am really happy that there are lot of people who sacrifice their time for Tamriel Rebuilt. It is nice to know that you guys are doing well and mod is just getting biger and better.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Thanks for the kind words. We're more used to being seen as a bunch of lunatics on a mission impossible. It's good to know we impress people too. Well, while we're stil far from completing what we set us as a goal, we will surely release Morrowind in forseeable time, and Skyrim is already being planned.

The strength of TR as a community is that the core - the taskmasters - isn't built around specific people. The general community is rather important too. Much, no, most work is actually done by common members, and ultimately, we core members all can be replaced by other, capable and dedicated modders who come from that community. It's something that happens regularily.

TR will prevail, that's something you can count on. We're a very stable and dedicated community. And if you want to lend us a hand, you're always welcome to do so. :)
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Welcome, thanks for the compliment. I unfortunantly can only do as much as I can :( . I would realy like to get more done here.
wishmaster

Post by wishmaster »

Please don't mention the word progress...

I will kill myself of guilty conscience!

I can't do the claims finish without a graphic card! *singrin*
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Of course, it wasn't my intention to clutter up the forum with yet another post without TR-specific content. But morale is an important factor in all projects; especially large ones. And looking through a lot of posts, a lot of you seem somewhat over-pessimistic. That's normal. It's because you're the ones actually doing the work. It will inevitably seem more weighty and hopeless from that perspective.

But I've seen many, many projects of different kinds (not Morrowind related) from both the inside and the outside live and die, and the fact that these forums and (indeed) active development are still going, suggests that it's not just going to spontaneously fall apart any time soon.

For those of you doing the bulk of the work, I'll bet a lot of you are starting to hate the whole game, the editor, the people that aren't contributing, and so forth. That's normal too. But even as the exterior maps are being fully assembled and released (and a very good idea it was to give this first priority), so that anyone with the inclination can download and walk through them, you'll find a good amount of the people who were only giving vocal support or interested glances up to this point will get more involved. It helps to have a world you can look through yourself and see the progress and all the stuff that begs to be added.

Yeah, I feel somewhat guilty posting at all when I can't immediately do anything substantial to help.
All I could probably do right now to contribute at all is chime in an idea here and there, without even knowing what's possible and what's not. You probably have plenty of that already. Maybe I might be able to write the text of some books (being rather familiar with the lore), for others to import (since I wouldn't begin to know how), but as you say, you need world builders the most. And that interests me, and I'm trying to figure that stuff out.

It's only recently that I have any time at all to even attempt to get the hang of TESCS. I'm just now downloading a bunch of mods to disassemble, and see how they work. I have no work to my name in any modding community. And all I've ever used the editor for so far is tiny tweaks to existing mods. Knowing how they work in concept hopefully will give me a leg-up in being able to reproduce them, and adapt the ideas to what you need done. TR is several calibers larger and more complex than any other Morrowind mod, or, hell, even any given group of 20 other Morrowind mods. So when I can make myself some proofs of concept, to prove that I know what I'm doing, even remotely, then I promise I'll hop in and do something that needs doing.

In the meantime, I felt it would be to at least some benefit to point out that from the perspective of outsiders, TR is doing well. And often only those on the outside can see the forest for the trees. Don't judge the project by looking ahead to other provinces, and thinking about the time scale of finishing them all. Everything so far has been getting done because it's been divided into small portions, and moves forward a piece at a time.

I'm telling you, you will definately get a bunch more active assistance as soon as the province of Morrowind is polished and done, and available for download. So consider that your goal. Don't worry so much about Skyrim, or Argonia, or Cyrodiil, or anything. If you can do it once (Morrowind), it is trivial to do it multiple times (the other provinces).

So if this thread constitutes spam, then I apologize.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Spam? No way!

Yes, I have witnessed the breakdown of another, maybe THE high-profile mod ín the Morrowind community - the Middle Earth Total Conversion project, or MEmod for short. It was horrible, mainly because the whole project was a lie to begin with. Now the con artist pulling this up has vanished, and thousands of fans, as well as dozens of dedicated modders, are left with nothing but anger.

There, TR shows one of it's greatest features: it's openness. While MEmod made a secret out of ecverything they did and had, TR shows plainly what work is done, and what remains still to be done. Daerk - MEmod's leading con artist - set himself up as the surpreme ruler, and without him, MEmod waqs nothing but dust and smoke. TR is different. We have a leadership too - the "core team" - but that core team isn't a closed inner circle. People come and go there, as in the general community. The core has a regular turnover, and as is, only one of TR's founders remains - Kothloth. The rest have stepped down eventually, and others have taken thier place, and filled it out well. And eventually, these people will step down too, for whatever reasons people step down, but the project, the community, will live on. That is what brought us as far as we have come, and what will guide us until we have placed the last leaf of grass, wrote the last book and implemented the last quest in all of Tamriel.

Those who do the actual modding work, including me ... yes, I stopped playing the game a while ago, and yes, I can be ticked off pretty well by people who just post one-liner comments in work threads but never work at all on their own. I am dedicated to see Tamriel done, but maybe, especially when Real Life kicks me in addition to that, I guess then I will leave too.

But that won't affect the project as a whole.

And don't worry about not being a high profile modder. We all started out small. When I came here I had barely learned how to open the CS - in fact, my first visit to this site was because of Dragonsong's (excellent) CS tutorial. TR is the place to learn modding by doing. You can, basically, just claim something (like a small map 2 interior), make it, and learn from the review. Those help you a great deal. Our reviewers will point out what you did wrong in your first interior and how to make it better. There hardly is a faster and better way to learn how to mod.

Welcome to TR. If you want to claim something, please do so. Especially a small interior is ideal to learn the basics of modding. If you have any questions, PM me. :)

yours,

- hermit -
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

The core has a regular turnover, and as is, only one of TR's founders remains - Kothloth.
What are ye talking about? :P Veet was made a moderator at the same time as me, and he is now admin aswell. The founders was Ender, Rodan and Ash I believe. Nazz also became involved with the core team pretty quickly. Those guys were atleast the ones who started everything up and made sure the project took the first steps to what it is today. And from these, only Nazz remains. And he's still active, being in control of map 3 ;)
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Hehe ... damn, I just made myself look like an idiot ...
Elder Mod.

Fthagn.
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

More like a hermit :P.
Indoril

Post by Indoril »

Better than an Indoril... Wait... ?(
Stendarr is the God of Mercy and Justice. Therefore, he must also be the bearer of Duck Tape, for only Mercy and Justice can use Duck Tape for the Good of man.
(\__/)
(^_^)
(>o<)