Emma´s Childern Mod, Opinions?

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Talin_Trollbane

Emma´s Childern Mod, Opinions?

Post by Talin_Trollbane »

She´s almost done now, for Vvardenfell that is, what about the mainland?

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47660
"What language does the undead speak?"
"Eng-Lich"
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

got a screenshot?
Katoth

Post by Katoth »

What is this? A mod for putting children in the game?
Where did my mechanical squirrel go?
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Yes. One of our oldest and most discussed boltons.

The main problem we had with this was that a lot of people said "children don't add that much to Morrowind, why bother making all the new models, voices, ect?" Well, obviously, Emma did bother. I guess we should make this into a TR bolton.
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

It is supposed to add some life in the game: where have you seen a place without children ? Well it could also give a new unforgiveable crime of "child murder" if you kill one... and maybe some quest.

Well i like the idea
Vegor
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vegor »

We really have decided no on this for thousands of reason. Please don't start this discussion again.

Additionally, we shouldn't make every mod that's nice a bolt-on. People can search and find it themselves.
Graff
Developer Emeritus

Post by Graff »

It is supposed to add some life in the game: where have you seen a place without children ? Well it could also give a new unforgiveable crime of "child murder" if you kill one... and maybe some quest.
Actually, Emma found a way around, by having the NPCs teleport when they are attacked. But it is a moot point, we couldn't agree.

Personally, I'd like to do a bolt-on that adds Children to the TR maps, but I doubt I'd finish it.

Perhaps we should do a "TR-Recommends" list of Mods that add atmosphere to Vvardenfell?

Graff.
[Maybe Not]Done With TR[Quite Yet]
Lord_Gallant
Developer Emeritus

Post by Lord_Gallant »

Yes all children in Tamriel are naturally blessed with teleportative powers that evolved specifically to avoid combat with deranged child-killing Nerevarines....

That is not a "work around", that is a "charge straight through and ignore the grotesque lore violations".

Since it is just a bolt-on, I really don't care though. No point in arguing about an optional feature.
Trudging through the relentless Skyrim snowstorms, the lone Paladin looks on in sorrow as the land of Tamriel evolves without him; his mind occupied with other matters.
Graff
Developer Emeritus

Post by Graff »

Well, I'd rather see someone take the care to make it impossible to attack Children NPCs then for someone sick person to derive pleasure from indulging in child-killing fantasies, game or not.

Graff.
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Graff wrote:Well, I'd rather see someone take the care to make it impossible to attack Children NPCs then for someone sick person to derive pleasure from indulging in child-killing fantasies, game or not.

Graff.
You know, Graff... I thought I'd liked you before.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Graff
Developer Emeritus

Post by Graff »

I know it's an illogical viewpoint, but I'm sure anybody who has young relatives or kids of their own has a similar viewpoint. I'm sorry you feel that way, Stumpy, but I've got my beliefs and morals, and I'm sure you've got own.

Graff.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

If we do use this as a bolt-on, I suggest we remove the teleportation nonsense. If the argument for it is that you are trying to preserve the morality of the game, I feel that is a load of bullshit. It's fine to run around killing all sorts of adults, ranging from dancers to shackled slaves, but oh dear no, we can't kill children.
This is a risky issue, as lots of people will have a strong stance on it, but taking measures to pacify those people will compromise the integrity of Tamriel Rebuilt.
WE DO NOT COMPROMISE THE INTEGRITY OF TAMRIEL REBUILT
Either we make kids just as killable as everyone else, or we don't include them.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

You REALLY don't want me to come back.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

just make them killable, Have it where the fine is higher then normal,Or not a fine but death or something....
Graff
Developer Emeritus

Post by Graff »

Do what you want, I can't say the idea sits comfortably with me, but at the end of the day, if people want to make them killable, with extra gore or whatever, they're going to do it. It's not like anything anyone says can stop that.

Graff.
Assassinace
Developer

Post by Assassinace »

Regardless BOLT ON. If someone wants to go through and add them to the mainland I don't see any reason not to have it as a TR bolt on. That being said I'm not going to bother adding them to the mainland. If someone does post and if they don't then moot point.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Ooops !
I am afraid i launched kinda troll, i'm sorry.

To be clear, i was just thinking that a "child killer" would be a specially hatred character without the possibility to "buy" his life by paying a fine so he should be chased to death.

About morality, Arena had whores whose's answers depended on your charisma (you'r too ugly,dark elf!) and your sex (if you were a female character:usually i deal with men but business is business)

They have been removed in Daggerfall's streets (but not in Dibella's temples)(TS2)and i didn't see any in Morrowind (TS3)

Also, in Daggerfall, a werewolf needed to kill innocent people to recover his hits points yes, when you were affected by lycantropy, you began by transforming yourself more and more often and with more and more difficulties to recover you original appareance.Then, your hits points dropped to four and you were seeing the message:"you feel thirsty on innocent blood" or something like that.So you needed to kill a passer-by, not a monster or a guard.And the more accessible cure for lycantropy implied: guess what ? Sacrifying a child ! (there was another way to cure...)

A friend of mine said it was perfect for him because he played an assasin.

But well, i think the point is:it's way too complicated to add a new "child layer" in TR and it has been discussed before.
And finally, we don't have enough modders to deal with.

So i won't post my "butterflies bolt-on suggestion" ;-)

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Merenenn wrote:"child layer"
At least Jacko's Texture would be easy to do. One nice uniform colour.

I once did make a mod with smaller people. Its all well and good but didnt actually add that much to the game. Children would be nice in that you could say 'oh theres children' but after a while it wears off.
Thane

Post by Thane »

You should be able to kill the children. It would allow more Temple/Cult quests where you have to slay child-killers. Of course it could also lead to some very, very warped things.
"We are the Knights who say-NI!"
"Now bring us a shrubbery"
"A nice one, but...not too expensive..."
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

What's the problem with killing children? I'm sure we've all gone on rampages and tried to kill everyone in the game, just for walking at you funny. They're just as innocent as children. Well actually they're probably not because they're adults, but children are just people who haven't had time to be evil. We're all bags of meat at the end of the day, we die with glassy eyes and someone cries. Then we're forgotten, and go all rotten.
Xui'al
Developer Emeritus

Post by Xui'al »

You are a true optimist, Prisilla. Why doesn't someone just lock this thread? Is the answer "NO" not clear enough?
'What if man is not really a scoundrel - man in general, I mean, the whole race of mankind - then all the rest is prejudice, simply artificial terrors and there are no barriers and it's all as it should be.'
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

There's nothing wrong with killing kids in video games. And just so Graff knows, not only do I have six siblings, four of which are younger than me, I also have a nephew.

My views on video game violence do not affect my real life morals. Killing real kids is wrong. Using an input device such as a keyboard or mouse to roll random numbers that will affect a value directly associated to an animation labeled 'm_dun_child_death' and playing the sound file labeled 'M_dun_child_groan.mp3' connected to it does not phaze me at all. I could just as easily be playing 'Nemo's undersea adventure' and see an animation of a bubble escaping from a shell and hear a musical note - but you wouldn't have any moral inhibitions towards that, would you?

There are no lines to be drawn here. You're bringing more argument to this than it needs.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Stumpytheguar

Post by Stumpytheguar »

Not that I'm altogether too fond of people who bump posts, but is nobody going to argue here? I was quite looking fowards to seeing someone try to refute that.
Retired - Sept. 15, 2005
Sload
Developer Emeritus

Post by Sload »

You sociopathic loser! How can you say things like that? Only sick minded people enjoy watching little children die, even if it is some stupid code. No way is anyone ever going to get to kill children while I around!

Happy?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nabO_UXb6MM]This is not my life[/url]
DarkEclipse

Post by DarkEclipse »

Isn't killing children the same as killing adults? Except for the fact that it's completely wrong...
Graff
Developer Emeritus

Post by Graff »

I wouldn't be as extreme as Sload at this moment in time, but for me at least, the difference between flesh and pixels makes no difference, the fantasy is still there for the sick people who probably end up making multiple screenshots of the deaths, I don't want to see that happen. Plus, Emma, the creator of the mod, has pretty stated that she won't support anyone who decides to make a playable children killer mod.

Graff.
DarkEclipse

Post by DarkEclipse »

So, no kids? Because if that's what you mean, I fully agree.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well of course killing children is wrong - nobody is disputing that - but then so is killing adults, and almost every game revolves around that at some point. And it's not as simple as a case of a few scripts and sound effects, there's the whole issue of the player's (perhaps sick) intent and satisfaction in killing a child, even if it is just in a game.
But again, it's really no worse than killing the innocent townsfolk in Morrowind. A player will perhaps kill one or two and then get bored and carry on with the game, to hear the new sound effects or whatever, or just as a novelty (of course, murder as novelty isn't all that commendable).
And I find the "I disagree with it because I know children" argument frankly quite ridiculous. It's just political correctness gone crazy. I know plenty of children, thank you; Jeezus, I even WAS one for a while.

Putting them in the game would be simply to make it more immersive, which I think is great. But to be honest they're going to be fairly superfluous, especially if you make them invincible. Unless you make some quests to go with them. But judging by the opinions here, it's going to be tactfully saccharine things like "rescue a helpless child from the bad men" or "Pwease find my teddy bear", which really isn't what the game is about. So it's probably best not to include it at all.
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

honestly, i don't get it. why the hell do we have this "bolt on" nonsence at all?

i mean, do you know about any finished bolt ons?
are there ever gonna be some worth downloading?
is someone gonna make it, and why?

-imo, all answers are NO.

my point is: why do we waste time/resources on such futile discussion? just read trough the "bolt on" section of the forum to get an idea...
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

Kingfish, I love you.
He's absolutely right. The only bolt-on that comes close to being "worked on" is FEP, and I'll be the first to say that it will never get past the interiors phase.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie

DarkEclipse

Post by DarkEclipse »

I vote no on kids in Tamriel. It's just generally a bad idea, any way you think about it.
Majra
Developer Emeritus

Post by Majra »

the bolt on forum is all a charade. Its a way of rejecting people nicely basically. By saying, oh... um... that wont work, but, you can always make it a bolt on its a cop out of actually hurting someones feelings for a split second. Bad ideas basically go here. Or, ideas that are not ready to be done.
R:6 I:22 N:30
Screw it, I'm back for sweet sweet TR

Uldar Gerzae: Expect no dodgeballs out of my arse. Though if something were to shoot out of me nether regions it mgiht be wise to dodge it all the same
DarkEclipse

Post by DarkEclipse »

If we make it a bolt-on I'm pretty sure everyone will download this and kill the poor little children.
Garriath
Developer Emeritus

Post by Garriath »

And we, of course, must take hold of their lives and prevent them any option of doing this. Otherwise they'll go off the deep end and start stealing little children's ice cream and raping stray dogs...

How is it our business what people do?

Anyway, yeah. This isn't a TR priority, so if someone feels the need to make a mod adding kids, they can go right ahead. If not, moan moan.
Dexter
Developer Emeritus

Post by Dexter »

If we make it a bolt-on I'm pretty sure everyone will download this and kill the poor little children.
I would, at least. I think it would be absolutely hilarious for the first ten minutes. Then the novelty would wear off and I'd stop killing all the children, just like I stopped killing all the adults after ten minutes the first time I played.
Bolt-Ons are a sham, and this conversation has made several complete circles. It's a waste of "Top Ten Most Recent Treads" space.
"Hail Dexter."
-Yinnie