Congrats to whole TR. Our work is being sold already.

Old and generally outdated discussions, with the rare hidden gem. Enter at your own risk.

Moderators: Haplo, Lead Developers

Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Congrats to whole TR. Our work is being sold already.

Post by Stalker »

Congratulation guys ! Our work caught the eye of software pirates and our work is being sold. Yes, yes. Not even final but alphas of our maps. Here's the [url=http://gamerus.ru/eld/?body=eld_cd]link[/url] to the site. It's in Russian (of course). Now some friendly people from [url=http://www.fullrest.ru]Fullrest[/url] are working on shuting down the site or at least punishing the guy in any means possible. Here's the [url=http://forum.gamerus.ru/]link[/url] to the forum. Feel free to spam, flame and sweat.
P.S. Never thought I will be angry at pirates. Really... Strange feeling I must say.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3336/oblivionforum5tb.jpg[/img]

Your friendly slavedriver.
Vernon
Developer Emeritus

Post by Vernon »

*fumes*

Lucky there's Fullrest then - that's Walt[FT] isn't it?

The puke that did this needs tenderising...
welp
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Yeap. Walt if one of them. I've just talked with some representatives of big Russian TES sites. That site was a thorn in their ass for too long. Plus he's selling the work of other moders and many of them.

Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

I guess I'll rush out and buy it then...

-Starcrunch
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

what do you mean it's being sold? i cant read whatever language that is...
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

Russian. They are selling a DVD with a lot of plugins. Cost include burning cost+shipping+a LOT of money to that guy.

Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

i used a russian translator and got this:

" TAMRIEL REBUILT PROJECT "!!
(huge in new territory and
Sootv-but new quests)
Are added Map2, Map4, Map6 (new!!)

It is necessary to transfer the following sum on below specified requisites:

300ð - within the limits of Russia

360p - Ukraine, Belarus, Armenia, etc. the countries CIS

Also it is necessary to send the application for ours email with the text "application" in a theme of the message.
In a body of the letter the following data should contain:

* You order what disks:
- A collection of plug-ins for MORROWIND
how much is that in us dollars?
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

12$ while empty CD-R costs like...emm...20 cents.

Kothloth
Developer Emeritus

Post by Kothloth »

They included Map2, Map 4 and Map 6?... Why not map 1, and why map 4 and map 6 which are far from finished? :P
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

Man.. the least they could have done is download the rest of the maps :P I mean.. they're all right here.

One of the Admins should send a small email to bethesda with the link. I'm sure they'd love to see somebody making money off their software...provided somebody would actually buy such a dvd.
Nairb
Developer

Post by Nairb »

Man this pisses me off alot. I mean alot alot. that guy needs to get busted.
Hold on sec, my keyboard is sliding off the desk, i gotta catch it b4 it jnkgdnldnl
Arthmodeus
Developer

Post by Arthmodeus »

Man, the guy even went so low as to SCAN things directly from the OFFICIAL Strategy guide and lable it as his own! :evil: That guy is SO sued!
kingfish
Developer Emeritus

Post by kingfish »

hmmm, this is hard to underestand, but if someone is stupid enough to buy a pre-alpha, i say let'em have it...

on the other hand, the freak that's making money of it, should burn in hell.
by posting useless junk on these forums you WON'T become a modder, only a spammer...
Phaen
Location: I have to be sitting in front of a computer somewhere- how would I type this otherwise?

Post by Phaen »

Just curious- how did you find this?
Anonymous

re piracy

Post by Anonymous »

i am making a telephone call tomorrow to bethsoft about this.

Then this person that is doing this will indeed burn in hell a poor man/woman.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Re: re piracy

Post by Starcrunch »

bj wrote:i am making a telephone call tomorrow to bethsoft about this.

Then this person that is doing this will indeed burn in hell a poor man/woman.
They are likely in Russia and beyond the reach of Beth. Don't waste your time...

-Starcrunch
Hellwege

Post by Hellwege »

we made TR shouldnt we be getting some of the cash
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

nah, noone should get the money... we're doing this for a free download :)
Colostriph

Post by Colostriph »

Well, here's what I have to say:

1- The people who are doing this are selling alphas

2- The people buying this are screwing themselves, cuz they can get the alphas and more for free.

3- Just because they live in russia doesn't mean we can't screw them. I'm not a lawyer, but I'm sure that if someone lives in russia, can't we hand TR rights to him or her for a few days, so that they can kick their asses legally? Just a thought.
Starcrunch
Developer Emeritus

Post by Starcrunch »

We have no grounds as we do not own TR, it is not our intellectual property, it is Bethesda's therefor we can do nothing and neither can they likely. IP laws are fairly weak outside of the US and Western Europe, and that's just the way it is (and across borders it can get very tricky even where IP laws are strong).

-Starcrunch
Colostriph

Post by Colostriph »

Starcrunch wrote:We have no grounds as we do not own TR, it is not our intellectual property, it is Bethesda's therefor we can do nothing and neither can they likely. IP laws are fairly weak outside of the US and Western Europe, and that's just the way it is (and across borders it can get very tricky even where IP laws are strong).

-Starcrunch
You're right, TR does technically belong to bethsoft. But I'm sure our beloved bethsoft would lend TR rights to some dear member in russia, then we can deal with them.

Of course, we could always "caress" their computers in "bacteriophages" as I like to say...
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

We have no grounds as we do not own TR, it is not our intellectual property
what about all our unique models? dont we have right's to all those awesome weapons and stuff that asylum makes?
Colostriph

Post by Colostriph »

Negrodomous wrote:
We have no grounds as we do not own TR, it is not our intellectual property
what about all our unique models? dont we have right's to all those awesome weapons and stuff that asylum makes?
No matter that, we can't reach russia with our laws. Unless we have a member there, and give the copyrights to him or her, it's a no go. It also depends, are these people making money from it? I'd laugh if no one's buying their crappy TR alphas and we're trying to sew them.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

We have many members in Russia, Stalker himself lives in Ukraine, I think. It doesn't matter what they're selling, the point is it's illegal, and I hope his ass gets screwed. I hope Russia sends him over to the US so we can bust him with 50 years of jailtime...with Martha Stuart and Micheal Jackson, once they convict him, that is.
Forum Administrator & Data Files Manager

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

[August 29, 2014 04:05PM] <+Katze> I am writing an IRC bot! :O
[August 29, 2014 04:25PM] *** Katze has quit IRC: Z-Lined
Colostriph

Re: Congrats to whole TR. Our work is being sold already.

Post by Colostriph »

Stalker wrote: Here's the [url=http://forum.gamerus.ru/]link[/url] to the forum. Feel free to spam, flame and sweat.
P.S. Never thought I will be angry at pirates. Really... Strange feeling I must say.
So what are we waiting for? It may be rather childish, but I think the whole communitie should pitch in and spam all over there forums in foreign languages. Now don't download anything, just have fun. Since that isn't as illegal as what they're doing, I doupt we'll get into any big trouble at all. Of course, unless they hack into our computers.

So, I bet that I can do 40 posts in one day.

Anymore bets? Common people, we can have a very good time. After you get all the anger out, we'll be able to mod in peace.
Negrodomous

Post by Negrodomous »

haplo12345 wrote:We have many members in Russia, Stalker himself lives in Ukraine, I think. It doesn't matter what they're selling, the point is it's illegal, and I hope his ass gets screwed. I hope Russia sends him over to the US so we can bust him with 50 years of jailtime...with Martha Stuart and Micheal Jackson, once they convict him, that is.
Unless we have a member there, and give the copyrights to him or her, it's a no go
i looked at the member list and i found that these ppl live in russia:
  • Ser Samuel
    Darth_Blade
    Walt[FT]
    Lord Alex[FT]
    Lord Zero
    Astral
    HungerGhost
    Kfvlad
Last edited by Negrodomous on Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

Well, if you visit their website, you're doing 2 things)

1) You're giving them money for every page of theirs you visit.

2) If you post something, and they have remotely any skill with computers, they can trace your IP and get a virus from someone to screw up your computer. Poof. There goes your brand new spiffy way overpriced Alienware Machine.

[06/19/2012 04:15AM] +Cat table stabbing is apparently a really popular sport in morrowind

Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

If anyone decides to email Bethesda, let it be the Admins of this project. Nobody else. Its cleaner and more organised that way.

Its within their interest to know... whether they wish to protect their property is their matter to deal with.
Colostriph

Post by Colostriph »

haplo12345 wrote:Well, if you visit their website, you're doing 2 things)

1) You're giving them money for every page of theirs you visit.

2) If you post something, and they have remotely any skill with computers, they can trace your IP and get a virus from someone to screw up your computer. Poof. There goes your brand new spiffy way overpriced Alienware Machine.
Hah, well that is unless you have an IP scrambler like me. Therefor I am untracable (almost)

And giving them money how?
Haplo
Lead Developer

Post by Haplo »

How do you think people make money off of their websites? People who have servers charge other people money to use those servers, so the people using them have to make money somehow. For many websites, they get paid so many cents(or dollars) for each hit they get per page. So if a website has 11 pages, including a mainpage, and they get paid 10 cents per hit, and you visit the main page twice, and every other page, they get a $1.20 from your one visit alone, where you didn't do anything but browse around. Just imagine those large popular forums that get thousands of hits a day. That's how people make money. Also, people get paid by large companies to advertise for them on their website(AOL for instance, will pay you if you have a banner portraying them on your website, and you get people redirected to them)

Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

1. This stinks. Walt's people should hack the site and tell all potential buyers that this is available for free, so they don't owe this guy shit.

2. Bethsft can do nothing about this, as it is not on American soil.

3. Russian justice works a LOT different than America's. It's even less predictable.
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Garinator

Post by Garinator »

isnt anybody else flattered that theyre including our material on this CD?
as for being mad, it doesnt really bother me as who is actually going to buy this CD?
i know if it was me i would do a search on "TR" on google and that would get me all the maps for free.
Lets just let beth deal with it and carry on modding.
Veet
Developer Emeritus

Post by Veet »

I'm reminded of a time when the Giants mod began showing up on Ebay for sale I cant help but chuckle at the lengths people will go to to make a buck off of other peoples ignorance.
"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
-- Winston Churchill
Phaen
Location: I have to be sitting in front of a computer somewhere- how would I type this otherwise?

Post by Phaen »

The Giants Mod showed up on Ebay for sale? When was that? Do you have any pictures?
Morden
Developer Emeritus

Post by Morden »

isnt anybody else flattered that theyre including our material on this CD?
Not really... its just some llama with internet access and a DVD burner trying to make a quick buck off our work.

All we can do is make it known that everything there can be downloaded for free.
Stalker
Developer Emeritus

Post by Stalker »

k. We decided that I'll go and post on ESF the list of mods he's selling. And trhis guys is definatly in big trouble.

Darth_Blade

Post by Darth_Blade »

if someone is stupid enough to buy a pre-alpha
Russians are. You can still find pre-alphas of Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 in some stores. And S.T.A.L.K.E.R. pre-alpha is hot right now %)
Unless we have a member there, and give the copyrights to him or her, it's a no go.
Well, you've got me. But it's a no go either way, because even though there are IP laws in Russia, nobody cares about music\video\software. Basically, it's only about literature. And...
Bethsft can do nothing about this, as it is not on American soil.
Though we could try to contact 1C, who owns the rights for TES3 in Russia and then MAYBE this guy will shut his site down. But the disk is probably all over the stores by now...
Not really... its just some llama with internet access and a DVD burner trying to make a quick buck off our work.
These llamas run a whole lot of online stores in runet %) And, even if I'm a bit embarassed to say this, I was the first person in my town to play Silent Hill 4 thanks to one of them %)
Lazy@$$ interior maker.
Title: Shooshpan-ataman

Finished interiors: Four

All things are but a horse.
Hermit
Developer Emeritus

Post by Hermit »

Well, if Russians really have to live with pre-Alphas of already existing games instead of quality pirated final release version software (for example, from China), then I feel sorry for you guys. ;)
Elder Mod.

For now, I'm sleeping in my lightless city beneath the waves.

But someday ... I will be back.

Fthagn.
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

This is outareous! While I am happy we are getting publicity, i dont like them copying bethesdas and our software!
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates
Swiftoak
Developer Emeritus

Post by Swiftoak »

haplo12345 wrote:We have many members in Russia, Stalker himself lives in Ukraine, I think. It doesn't matter what they're selling, the point is it's illegal, and I hope his ass gets screwed. I hope Russia sends him over to the US so we can bust him with 50 years of jailtime...with Martha Stuart and Micheal Jackson, once they convict him, that is.
how but the death sentence... no too much, 1000 years (Life sentence)

Im quoting the bold part
"Idleness and lack of occupation tend - nay are dragged - towards evil."
-Hippocrates